barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Would this be the hands getting thrown off the "tilt a whirl"?
The centripetal force extends the hands but also keeps them rotating on the tilt a whirl. When they're thrown off, that's the hands continuing on their path without the influence of an outside force. Inertia.

Feb 25, 2020
Bobby,

I thought this clip of Josh Hamilton is awesome. Watch his hands from 4-5 seconds. They seem to sit in the same place and just unhinge. Would like to hear your thoughts.

I (of course) attribute this to hip extension stopping them in their place. (all rotation almost seems to cease as hip extension occurs also).

(It's funny, I remember watching this exact clip on TV in 2008 and thinking he must have some strong wrists to hit it 500 feet like that.)

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
XvKSpUy.gif

Aug 20, 2017
Bobby,

I thought this clip of Josh Hamilton is awesome. Watch his hands from 4-5 seconds. They seem to sit in the same place and just unhinge. Would like to hear your thoughts.

I (of course) attribute this to hip extension stopping them in their place. (all rotation almost seems to cease as hip extension occurs also).

(It's funny, I remember watching this exact clip on TV in 2008 and thinking he must have some strong wrists to hit it 500 feet like that.)

Front leg stabilized hip rotation (deceleration), core rotated barrel to the ball, shows the importance of the front leg, allowed barrel to whip

Jul 29, 2013
Bobby,

I don't think his hips stopped prior to contact and his shoulders definitely have not stopped rotating. I'm looking at the knob of the bat coming toward us in the frame. At that point in time, if it's pulling toward us, then the barrel is lagging away from us. His rotational acceleration is slowing and so these two forces are causing the barrel to rotate around his hands.
The rotational acceleration slowing negates the Euler force and allows the centrifugal force to extend the bat. The same with his hands coming toward us is in the direction of the centripetal force causing the opposite action of the barrel.
Remember,
Acceleration around the curve causes bat lag (Euler force)
Speed around the curve causes bat extension and accelerates the barrel outward (centrifugal force) {not correct but easier to understand}
Acceleration around the curve has a strong negative effect on centrifugal force. - intuitively, bat lag is an easier force to create than barrel extension force-
I also see him applying some torque on the handle via a push/pull of his hand relationship to each other.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Bobby,

I have many HR derby swings and many of them look like Hamilton, getting the hands out front with more bat lag. They are just HR derby swings.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't think his hips stopped prior to contact and his shoulders definitely have not stopped rotating. I'm looking at the knob of the bat coming toward us in the frame. At that point in time, if it's pulling toward us, then the barrel is lagging away from us. His rotational acceleration is slowing and so these two forces are causing the barrel to rotate around his hands.
The rotational acceleration slowing negates the Euler force and allows the centrifugal force to extend the bat. The same with his hands coming toward us is in the direction of the centripetal force causing the opposite action of the barrel.
Remember,
Acceleration around the curve causes bat lag (Euler force)
Speed around the curve causes bat extension and accelerates the barrel outward (centrifugal force) {not correct but easier to understand}
Acceleration around the curve has a strong negative effect on centrifugal force. - intuitively, bat lag is an easier force to create than barrel extension force-
I also see him applying some torque on the handle via a push/pull of his hand relationship to each other.

So could you break this down and explain how it works in a swing. Do we want more or less centrifugal force? More bat lag? more extension? help!
Torque on handle vis a push/pull? is the oar lock thinking? Can it be taught ? how?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516