At a crossroad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
Don’t get me wrong. Our family loves softball. DD loves softball. We have a tournament this weekend. Building a lifetime of memories. We probably pay about $650 a season to play. A couple weekends of hotels a season. We’re in central FL so the competition is fairly strong. Plenty of local kids playing for UF and FSU, and other good programs.

Mar 10, 2020
Don’t get me wrong. Our family loves softball. DD loves softball. We have a tournament this weekend. Building a lifetime of memories. We probably pay about $650 a season to play. A couple weekends of hotels a season. We’re in central FL so the competition is fairly strong. Plenty of local kids playing for UF and FSU, and other good programs.
$650 a season still in rec?

Mar 10, 2020
The "journey"??? Oh, please. That is so trite. Is it even a 10 year old's, or a 14yr old's journey for that matter? Or is it the parent's journey, or the coach's or the organization's? If it's true that a small handful of these girls really have any chance of playing in college, okay, travel girls specifically, why must the other 95% need to be traipsing all over the country or even within their own state? If it's true that communication must be happening continuously with college coaches, why must these other 95% be traveling to showcases, especially the 14u who are not nearly on the coach's radars? That's the point I'm trying to make. Perhaps the really elite girls can form regional teams and they can go to Colorado, or Tulsa, or Huntington Beach. Let the rest go to skills camps and private lessons and stay closer to home until they are ready or even able to undertake the "journey" and their families aren't expending the time and money on a pipe dream before then. Now, you will say, it's the family's choice and that is fine. But leading them on with promises of college coaches being at showcases is disingenuous at best. You know they are there to see the kid that has already been in direct contact and has proven, elite skills. The rest of the girls just fill out the team and provide the vehicle for these elite girls to play. If I am wrong about this, just tell me. But show me one team at a showcase, where every girl ended up playing in college, at any level. I mean, it isn't too far fetched to have paid fifty thousand dollars or more, supporting the structure of a 10 year travel ball career. That would pay for a lot of college, so how is a family coming out ahead when their daughter maybe ends up with at best, a partial scholarship and ends up on the bench anyway? I just don't get it. I know too, some will say they need to play the best competition in order to prove themselves. Who is the best competition and how many teams get to play them?
Now you're just ranting about what others are doing. Which I find trite. If you don't see a purpose for youth to play sports just say it. I find people like you are just trying to stir up problems. But I'm willing to recognize your ignorance toward travel ball and how athletes make their way through youth sports to go on to play for college. If you're really interested in how the system works educate yourself pick a whole bunch of softball teams websites and you will see entire rosters who are going to college. Otherwise you're just a complainer.

Jul 19, 2021
The player's ability, according to whom? A former teammate of my DD was told by her TB team coaches (very experienced in the recruiting game) that she shouldn't pursue D1 colleges because she wasn't good enough to play at that level. She remained relentless in pursuing her goal, got multiple D1 offers, and is currently committed to play for a a D1 program.
Committing and signing with a D1 is one thing, actually playing is another. Lots of girls sign D1 but never sniff the field so it remains to be seen if her coaches were correct or not. They could well have been correct is saying she will never play at that level.

Mar 10, 2020
No need to be emotional.
What type of team are you playing ball was a question is all.
Why is your season $650.
Is that summer only.
What else does your team do.
Our dues $190 monthly 14u $220 18u include hitting indoor at a facility weekly and Speed and Agility we can go to as many times as we want during the week. We play at least one friendly and two tournaments a month or two friendlies and one tournament a month. Summer and winter have more showcasing back-to-back weekend. Field practice on weekends also.
This is in Ca. Would have to look up cost comparisons in Florida.

Mar 10, 2020
Committing and signing with a D1 is one thing, actually playing is another. Lots of girls sign D1 but never sniff the field so it remains to be seen if her coaches were correct or not. They could well have been correct is saying she will never play at that level.
Those situations are a player's decision not always but most of the time. Financially the majority of D1 colleges cost less than all of private schools where the competition for playing time is less scrutinized and the out-of-pocket is deeper.

Oct 3, 2019
Now you're just ranting about what others are doing. Which I find trite. If you don't see a purpose for youth to play sports just say it. I find people like you are just trying to stir up problems. But I'm willing to recognize your ignorance toward travel ball and how athletes make their way through youth sports to go on to play for college. If you're really interested in how the system works educate yourself pick a whole bunch of softball teams websites and you will see entire rosters who are going to college. Otherwise you're just a complainer.
😏

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad