At a crossroad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
No need to be emotional.
What type of team are you playing ball was a question is all.
Why is your season $650.
Is that summer only.
What else does your team do.
Our dues $190 monthly 14u $220 18u include hitting indoor at a facility weekly and Speed and Agility we can go to as many times as we want during the week. We play at least one friendly and two tournaments a month or two friendlies and one tournament a month. Summer and winter have more showcasing back-to-back weekend. Field practice on weekends also.
This is in Ca. Would have to look up cost comparisons in Florida.
Fall season 10 tournaments (one showcase) 2 two hour practices a week. We do hitting and pitching lessons on the side. Mostly USSSA.

Oct 3, 2019
Exactly! An Elite, regional team, groomed for just the purpose of playing national tournaments. You made my point. My questions were regarding selling every Tom, Dick and Harry on the idea that all of these girls can be recruited as long as they’re on the team and attend expensive showcases, mostly far from home.

Jun 8, 2016
Our org fees here in OK are 600 a year plus 50 a month for the coach (not every team in the org has a paid coach) Tack on another 750 or so for tournament fees plus whatever it costs for travel. This year year it will probably be in 4 to 5k range all together (1st year 14u) Still cheaper than going to HI every summer to visit the in-laws like we did before TB 😂 (they visit us now..going to meet us in CO for Sparkler this year..)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I have no idea how a freshmen in HS would know what they want to study in college..I mean half the kids in my Engineering classes
don't seem to know what they want to study..
My dd told me at least 2/3rds of her freshman engineering class washed out before the first year was done.

Jun 8, 2016
My dd told me at least 2/3rds of her freshman engineering class washed out before the first year was done.
Before they get to college Engineering is sold by telling them how much money they can make and showing them all these cool engineering things and having do a lot of experiential learning stuff. They don’t tell them they will have spend time learning “high level” math (it really isn’t if you look at actual Math majors) ,physics and engineering courses which at first glance have very little with the “cool thing” they were sold on (it is partly our job to bridge that for them..)

IMO it should be sold as if you like to solve problems then Engineering is the field for you..If that is the case, then all those courses I mentioned will be at least tolerable.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Before they get to college Engineering is sold by telling them how much money they can make and showing them all these cool engineering things and having do a lot of experiential learning stuff. They don’t tell them they will have spend time learning “high level” math (it really isn’t if you look at actual Math majors) ,physics and engineering courses which at first glance have very little with the “cool thing” they were sold on (it is partly our job to bridge that for them..)

IMO it should be sold as if you like to solve problems then Engineering is the field for you..If that is the case, then all those courses I mentioned will be at least tolerable.
Is it possible to study Engineering as a Major and play D1 Softball? How about P5?

Jun 8, 2016
Is it possible to study Engineering as a Major and play D1 Softball? How about P5?
Supposedly Grace Lyons is a biomedical engineer but I have never seen her around this part of campus. They are in a different building though so..( building adjacent to mine)

Oct 3, 2019
So, it’s not okay to not know if you want to play softball in college before you might even know what your major might be or how demanding that will be. Again, my point. Why expect 14yr olds to commit to softball before they even know what their major will be. Yet, on the other hand, the truly disingenuous will say, academics come first. Wonder how many pre-med or pre-law softball players there are? I bet there are a lot of Sports Physiology, Kinesiology and Sports Management majors though, considering how many softball players go into private coaching after college.

Jun 8, 2016
She seems like a good kid. She talked with Marcela about gloves for like 5 minutes..😂

Attachments

• 5FB94B9A-3263-402A-88CE-B1B979844872.jpeg
    5FB94B9A-3263-402A-88CE-B1B979844872.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar