At a crossroad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don't believe this statistic is from girls that only play high school. Most also play TB, at least where I live they do.

As pattar mentioned, the 6% statistic is misleading because that's looking at HS players, but not all HS players are also TB players, so it's a distorted picture. Looking at the percentage of 18U TB players who go on to play college ball is a more accurate statistic, especially since that's where the majority of time and money is spent. I have not idea what that percentage it, but I would bet it's a pretty high number.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I’m just wondering if maybe there’s a better way that doesn’t require the time, and spent resources, that supports just these few girls’, “journey”.

This ^^^ sounds like you're looking for an easier path. It's not supposed to be easy. High level play demands high level skills. Those skills come from experience, training, high level competition, and determination. As it stands right now, the vehicle that provides that development most efficiently is TB.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm...🤔
A better way that doesnt require time and money?

Oddly in the past few years what I see more of is people who are willing to spend the money but not put in the time. They even have money to pay for lessons but not make priority the time to work on it on their own.

Interestingly even getting into a college is a competition. Takes time and money.
Until you actually start applying for colleges (and possibly not having good enough grades) will be notified non-acceptance.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
As pattar mentioned, the 6% statistic is misleading because that's looking at HS players, but not all HS players are also TB players, so it's a distorted picture. Looking at the percentage of 18U TB players who go on to play college ball is a more accurate statistic, especially since that's where the majority of time and money is spent. I have not idea what that percentage it, but I would bet it's a pretty high number.
I guess if there was a perfect FP world teams would be more divided. A teams or gold teams theat everybody on that team is looking D1/P5 and then teams D2, Then teams with smart kids looking D3 and then NCIA headed teams and then Juco headed teams. I have watched some local NCIA games and the talent is good but far from great.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I guess if there was a perfect FP world teams would be more divided. A teams or gold teams theat everybody on that team is looking D1/P5 and then teams D2, Then teams with smart kids looking D3 and then NCIA headed teams and then Juco headed teams. I have watched some local NCIA games and the talent is good but far from great.

Where do you put good players who haven't figured out their direction yet? Who makes the determination about what team a player is on?

Jul 19, 2021
NCIA? What is that? Do you mean NAIA?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Where do you put good players who haven't figured out their direction yet? Who makes the determination about what team a player is on?
Who? The players ability.
Eventually in each age bracket thats the tell.

If they have ability they'll play for a team of their choice up to their ability level.

Travel ball sometimes grades are not a measurement toward playing time.

Some teams grades gpa is a requirement.

But playing ability is good to have in either crowd.

Oct 3, 2019
This ^^^ sounds like you're looking for an easier path. It's not supposed to be easy. High level play demands high level skills. Those skills come from experience, training, high level competition, and determination. As it stands right now, the vehicle that provides that development most efficiently is TB.
“Easier”, not at all. More efficient, maybe.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Who? The players ability.
Eventually in each age bracket thats the tell.

If they have ability they'll play for a team of their choice up to their ability level.

Travel ball sometimes grades are not a measurement toward playing time.

Some teams grades gpa is a requirement.

But playing ability is good to have in either crowd.

The player's ability, according to whom? A former teammate of my DD was told by her TB team coaches (very experienced in the recruiting game) that she shouldn't pursue D1 colleges because she wasn't good enough to play at that level. She remained relentless in pursuing her goal, got multiple D1 offers, and is currently committed to play for a a D1 program.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28