Anyone use baseballs in practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Just wondering if any of you coaches use baseballs in practice. Thought about going to Play it Again and buying a used baseball bat and a dozen or so baseballs for my 12U girls. It should liven things up a little. Just thinking if they can focus on a smaller ball they should really be able to hit (and field) that that big yellow beach ball when it comes at them.

Have any of you tried this and had any success?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Yes and yes. They can just use their softball bats no reason to buy baseball bats.

I thought I had read or heard that baseballs will damage softball bats. I know that we're talking about 12yo girls but I don't think I want my DD hitting baseballs with her CF6. Am I wrong? Thanks for the fast replies.

Jun 24, 2013
I do not know if you are wrong or right. :)

My DD hits baseballs with her CF6. She stays away from those really hard machine pitch balls otherwise she uses her bat. We bought the dang thing for her to use it.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I thought I had read or heard that baseballs will damage softball bats. I know that we're talking about 12yo girls but I don't think I want my DD hitting baseballs with her CF6. Am I wrong? Thanks for the fast replies.

my dd hits baseballs with a CF5 and hasn't had any issues.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Yes and yes. They can just use their softball bats no reason to buy baseball bats.

My understanding is that baseballs are harder than softballs and hitting baseballs with a softball bat can dent (aluminum) or break (composite) the bat. I am also 92.8% sure it would void the warranty of your softball bat.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
There might be the possibility of bat damage, so it might be best to use an old bat.

Something else to be aware of...if you are hitting a baseball with a softball bat, it can come off the bat at unexpectedly high speeds, higher than softballs are designed to. A few years ago around here a kid was hit in the head and killed while pitching baseballs to another kid using a softball bat to hit them. The extent of the injury was attributed to the extra speed of the baseball/softball bat combination.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Buy a couple of youth-sized wood bats. Your girls will get immediate feedback on whether they hit the ball well, because the sweet spot isn't much bigger than the ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd