Using baseballs instead of softballs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
I’d be careful using them for fielding (especially if the girls don’t wear face masks) as the balls will come off the bat a lot faster and the girls will not be playing back at baseball depth (unless you want them in the OF).

I fractured my eye socket a few years ago when a 12 y/o girl hit a baseball to me off of front-toss (I was playing SS) and it took a bad hop. Not a good time.
Softball face masks probably would not stop a baseball because of its smaller size.

May 27, 2013
Softball face masks probably would not stop a baseball because of its smaller size.

Very true! But something would be better than nothing - but again - I do not condone using baseballs at all for fielding practice.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Practice with softballs. Plenty of very durable and affordable synthetic cover balls out there. You can use them for years for hitting and individual fielding practice. I like using newer game balls for throwing, and older game balls for combined fielding and scrimmages.

Jul 31, 2015
Try Play It Again Sports or any parent whose DD is playing in college, or whose playing time is over (post college).

Also, softballs are not necessarily more expensive than baseballs. Depends on what quality you're buying.
Synthetic is cheaper than leather.

Oct 14, 2019
Try Play It Again Sports or any parent whose DD is playing in college, or whose playing time is over (post college).

Also, softballs are not necessarily more expensive than baseballs. Depends on what quality you're buying.
Synthetic is cheaper than leather.
i second this. just bought some for $2/ball.

Jun 8, 2016
Go to a complex the Monday after a tournament..almost guaranteed to pick up at least 2 balls. I probably have 2 dozen balls which I picked up after being abandoned..lol.

Dec 11, 2010
My emoji was in regards to the water bottle reference..I can confirm that it does nothing for your arm but does cause your wife to be mad at you for a month..
I did not make that connection, and I am saddened that I didn't, lol!

I was thinking more of a Wasserman reference!

May 26, 2021
Ok so softballs it is. So second question is where do you get them for so cheap? I bought out a play it again sports I'm coaching 10u, so I need 11 inch balls. They only had about 12. $2.50 each I think and had to rip off the sticker and made them all sticky. And it was 45 minutes away. I can get them online for $4.50 is about the cheapest I've found. Am I looking at the wrong places? Baseballs are like 1.50, which is why I'm asking :)

Jun 8, 2016
Ok so softballs it is. So second question is where do you get them for so cheap? I bought out a play it again sports I'm coaching 10u, so I need 11 inch balls. They only had about 12. $2.50 each I think and had to rip off the sticker and made them all sticky. And it was 45 minutes away. I can get them online for $4.50 is about the cheapest I've found. Am I looking at the wrong places? Baseballs are like 1.50, which is why I'm asking :)
You check Ebay?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi