Using baseballs instead of softballs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I know. I’m ancient, lol

I’m pretty sure we threw asbestos tiles around when I was a kid. AND WE LIKED IT, lol. (That reference is probably too old too. Sigh.)
My emoji was in regards to the water bottle reference..I can confirm that it does nothing for your arm but does cause your wife to be mad at you for a month..

Seriously though, my 6 YO son has thrown a lot of footballs with me and his friends this winter and it seems to have helped his throwing of a baseball (getting older probably didn't hurt either). I hate to say it but he actually has better throwing mechanics than my 12 YO DD..

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017
In a perfect world kids are running around throwing rocks, sticks, bottles, bricks, footballs, basketballs, and… well water bottles!
DD probably throws a football as much as a softball when we’re at home. She played flag football a couple of years ago and loves throwing throwing with me and running “ passing routes”. We win the super bowl on deep passes a lot in my backyard 😂 We also do long toss with baseballs and 11” softballs just to mix it up.

May 1, 2018
Go to play it again sports and buy softballs..... good lord it's not that hard.
Or you know we can do basketball practice with a volleyball..... they both bounce right?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Bring out softballs
👉to the baseball teams...
Seriously not even joking
Do an entire practice with the opposite ball.
Bring the results back...

(Expose the difference in the Sports) 🥳👍

Just sayin...
I know this thread appears about hitting baseballs versus softballs but they're certainly a difference in throwing them!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Lots of times there are thrashed softballs
somewhere sitting in a bucket not being used. Maybe a local College even high school's just have them pile up.
Ask around if it's just for hitting there's probably some out there.
Just don't put thrashed softballs in a pitching machine. Yikes

Jan 8, 2019
Was at UNLV last fall, and they have a ball cart full of baseballs in the cages. But then, they also had a huge bucket filled with Ghosts that I know were not paid for by mom and dad!

May 27, 2013
I’d be careful using them for fielding (especially if the girls don’t wear face masks) as the balls will come off the bat a lot faster and the girls will not be playing back at baseball depth (unless you want them in the OF).

I fractured my eye socket a few years ago when a 12 y/o girl hit a baseball to me off of front-toss (I was playing SS) and it took a bad hop. Not a good time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi