Any analysis on #14's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2008
First clip is from behind plate, she hit a hard single to left field.

Second clip was a pop up to 3rd, the pitch before which I did not get was a foul straight back.

Any advice would be great, I slowed the videos down to 5 frames per second to help out a little.
Thanks in advance!

May 7, 2008
DFW
Her stance could be more athletic and balanced. Tilted over more. This will cause a lot of comment but I am not a fan of where your daughter has her back elbow. I think it needs to be up more. My reason for stating that is after watching both vids her elbow is next to her body as she brings the bat around the corner to the ball. This is a weak hitting position. The reason she popped the ball up IMO is that she has some bat drag in her swing due to the elbow getting in front of the hand as she comes around the corner. It is kind of hard to see it clearly in the vid but she is doing what I see many young girls do when they swing the bat. Not getting the elbow into the correct position. It needs to be about 3 inches from the body as she comes around the corner.

If you get the elbow up a bit more it will help her to get into that position of dropping into the "Slot" as some like to state on here. A drill you can do to help her with this is to have her set up in her stance without a bat but like she is going to swing at a ball. You position yourself in front of her and you put your hand in a cupped position right below her leading elbow. You tell her where this elbow is (The lead elbow) the back elbow will be. When she swings she is to place the back elbow in your hand. The position of the back elbow should be Vertical with the hand right over the top of the elbow and in your cupped hand. This will put the back elbow in the correct position 100% of the time. It will also stop those pop ups.

Hope this helps.

Dana

Jun 27, 2008
On the more athletic stance, do you mean feet further apart, closer in together, more bend in the knees maybe? By more tilt, do you mean more bend in at her hips so her torso is more over the plate? With the back elbow, do you mean more of a Manny Ramirez type like in this video [video]http://sports.espn.go.com/videohub/video/video?id=4030344[/video]

Thanks for your help Dana

May 7, 2008
DFW
She looks good as far as balance and distance between the feet. She also looks like a very athletic young lady. What I am trying to convey here is she needs to soften the knees just a little more and stick the back side out just a little more creating a tilted position. Think linebacker position in football. I have seen the breakdown of Mannys swing in that video before. I have a hard time comparing the swing of a 13-14 year old player to one who is in the MLB arena. Like comparing apples and basketballs. One can be eaten but not hit and the other should be dribbled but not hit. Yes, you can learn a lot observing a MLB player, but she will never recreate the movement of a MLB player. Not enough strength and and stability at her age.

Did you understand where I was going with the statement on the elbows and the drill?

May 13, 2008
Looking at clip #2. You're DD's swing is similar Callahan's here...

BCallahan2005TEN_FView.gif

...except your DD is striding flat footed. On that pitch it threw off her timing enough to make contact too far out front and caused a popup.

Also, she need to build momentum in her swing by creating a negative move with her hands as she strides forward, much like how Crystl does here...

CrystalBustos_Olympics.gif

Your DD is what I would call a pre-loader, in that she shifts her weight to the back leg and loads the hands back too soon. She has stopped her momentum.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2008
Thanks Dana for the clarification, I will try the front elbow hand cup drill at her next hitting session.

cshilt, yeah I have also noticed that she is usually way out in front when she pops up and I agree with her loading her hands too early, will have to try and work that out better. Whatever clips you posted I cannot see at work so I will try again when I get home to see what you are describing. Thanks for the help.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Elbow to Elbow Drill

This is a drill that Howard showed me last time we visited. This is in my opinion a very easy and excellent drill for teaching a hitter how to get the back elbow into the slot correctly as it comes around the back corner. It is also something you can do with your team at a practice by pairing you hitters up. If done correctly the back elbow will be consistently in the proper position going to the bat lag position.

YouTube - Elbow to Elbow Drill.MPG

Enjoy.

Dana.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
This is a drill that Howard showed me last time we visited. This is in my opinion a very easy and excellent drill for teaching a hitter how to get the back elbow into the slot correctly as it comes around the back corner. It is also something you can do with your team at a practice by pairing you hitters up. If done correctly the back elbow will be consistently in the proper position going to the bat lag position.

YouTube - Elbow to Elbow Drill.MPG

Enjoy.

Dana.

Dana

The hand path device has replaced this and is a much better visual now as you can see the hands inside the path of the ball and release the bat to the ball and make it inside, middle or outside.

Good job Dana we learn from each other.

Thanks Howard

Jan 10, 2010
Dana

The hand path device has replaced this and is a much better visual now as you can see the hands inside the path of the ball and release the bat to the ball and make it inside, middle or outside.

Good job Dana we learn from each other.

Thanks Howard

Hitter, I saw a picture from either SBFAMILY or STRAIGHTLEG maybe of this device bit cant determine specs, usage, etc. from the single picture I saw. Is this something that I can make at home? Would you divulge how you make it and use it? It's okay if you don't wish to give that information out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32