Any analysis on #14's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Yes. Part of that is arm action and part of it is posture and rotation problems.

What are you seeing as far as rotational problems? Is it her front foot opening as soon as she picks it up to stride, resulting in her hips opening too soon or something else? Is the posture problem in her set up, is she letting her head slide forward too much during the swing or something else? Just an apprentice asking question. ;)

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio

MarkH, Another question in regards to the clip of the ULL batter. Michael Lotief is the coach for ULL, is that right? I have heard of the Lotief Hitting clinics. If you or other members are familiar with his way of teaching, what is it about Lotief's approach to hitting that is unique that his teams produce so many HRs. At least I thought that is what he is known for besides producing really good hitters, could be wrong. Thx

May 12, 2008
Mike starts off with the intent to hit the ball hard. Real hard. When he first started with that intent it was really not that common. FP was considered by many to be a contact and run 1-0 kind of game. He studies everyone including to my knowledge, Epstein, Right View and Englishbey. They work very very hard. For the specifics of what he believes, I would refer you to him.

May 12, 2008
What are you seeing as far as rotational problems? Is it her front foot opening as soon as she picks it up to stride, resulting in her hips opening too soon or something else? Is the posture problem in her set up, is she letting her head slide forward too much during the swing or something else? Just an apprentice asking question. ;)

You are seeing some good things. I'll get back to you.

Jan 15, 2009
With regards to loading too early with the hands. I noticed that too. She is moving her hands back to get seperation between the elbow and the body. Seperation is good, but as mentioned if you load too early you lose momentum. One way to talk about the hands that I liked I picked up a few weeks ago at a college clinic. The hands should remain stationary and the body walks away from the hands to create seperation. So the act of taking her stride should be what creates separation, not pushing hands back prior to the stride. Walking away from still hands helps eliminate bat wrap as well.

Feb 6, 2009
I've watched the elbow to elbow drill a few times. Is this drill just done to show how the right elbow should get into the slot and how the hands should be in front of the elbow coming into the bat lag position?

Jun 27, 2008
Thanks everyone for the advice, we will be working on her hands alot as this stops her momentum. Being as small as she is, she needs all the momentum she can get.

Jun 27, 2008
Lots of good post, another thing I see is that shes not getting extended through the ball (backslapping), if you check out some of the other post youll find Howards hand over drill. you might try this. Short to the ball, long through the ball.(bat going upward over the shoulder through extension)

I will need to look this up, would this be the face the fire drill where the top hand is on the bat reversed?

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I will need to look this up, would this be the face the fire drill where the top hand is on the bat reversed?

The face the fire is one drill used with both hands as normal to hit the ball. What we have found is the female hitter struggles with is extension so we added it to it and we have found it generates the feeling in the lead arm which is what we are focusing on in the beginning to stop the shoulder slap and back slap. At the clinic over the weekend I would estimate we stopped 40 kids from doing the back and shoulder slap thing within 5 swings doing the hand over drill.

Thanks Howard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck