Another lawsuit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I too hate commenting on these things. You can't ever win a point when a child has been hurt. My prayers go out to this young man who will never be the same, and to his family.

All I'm going to say is we, as a country, have gotten Ridiculous over lawsuits. Pretty soon you will need a lawyer to help sign the 100 pages of liability wavers to even play ball. ( from rec to gold )

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
This law suit stated years ago and was being discussed in NJ when we played a tourney in NJ at 12U. They changed the balls to address the issue . I picked one up after a player complained it sounded funny and the core rating was not what we were use to playing with. With this type of money involved , how long before they change the game? Bats, Balls , safety equipment, or a combination of all of them. I agree wth GOINGDEEP, we live in a different world today. Sorry if any of you are lawyers/politicians( which I consider the same) you are taking this country down a dark path for your own greed.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Little League was sued because the group certifies that specific metal bats are approved for — and safe for — use in games involving children.

LL said the bat was safe for use in youth games games. They place a certification on the bat. In other words, LL gave a warranty that the bats were safe for use in games. The bat manufacturer gave a similar warranty.

Makes complete sense to me...you say something is safe and it isn't, then you should pay for it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
LL said the bat was safe for use in youth games games. They place a certification on the bat. In other words, LL gave a warranty that the bats were safe for use in games. The bat manufacturer gave a similar warranty.

Makes complete sense to me...you say something is safe and it isn't, then you should pay for it.

But how many 1000's and 1000's of batted balls were hit with no harm? How many defensive players got hit with only a bruise to show for it. The article itself states, "The ball had struck his chest at the precise millisecond between heartbeats, sending him into cardiac arrest, according to his doctors". That's an accident. A tragic one yes, but still a accident.

But who really pays for it? Everyone else for all the years to come. The LL will raise their fees to cover the loss, the bat company will charge more to cover their loss. Pretty soon leagues and bat companies won't allow anything that can be hit past the infield. That bat that costs $50 to make and $100 of company profit now comes with a price tag of an additional $200 to cover any and every lawsuit. One family gets $15 million, and the rest of us pay for it ( literally) in the long run.

Jan 25, 2011
I read about this, this morning. I feel bad for the family. But when my daughter fell and hit her head on the gym floor and had to have her brain surgery. I guess, I should of hired a lawyer and sued the hardwood floor maker or maybe sued our creator for making gravity. We all wake up in the morning, not knowing what the day is going to bring. Thats the thing about life, stuff happens, good and bad and now a days. It seems people need to find someone to blame and pay for the bad stuff.

Jul 28, 2008

But he got hit by the ball, not the bat.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Many times it is the insurance companies that sue each other. My insurance company sure investigated when my son was struck by a batted ball and broke his jaw. I had to lie to keep them from suing the neighbor who owned the yard they were playing in.

It will probably take more lawsuits, for the young man to receive any money at all. I doubt that Sports Authority has written a check.

Just what does LL's insurance cover, if not this?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011

so if it was a wood bat, they should be able to sue GOD or whom ever a person believes to be their creator?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA