Another lawsuit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I don't have a problem paying a little more on bats and balls and fees to take care of kids who are disabled for life because of the events of a youth baseball or softball game.

At some point people have to take personal responsibility for their own actions and choices. I bet the injured player chose to play in that LL org. I bet if you had a chance to look he has a similar bat like the one "claimed" to have injured him. If that hit ball had been a few inches below the heart and not in the milli second between beats, more than likely he would have fully recovered from the impact and continued playing. It was just one of these freak accidents, you'd probably have better odds winning the lotto than this ever happening. It did happen, but I just don't feel people should sue for every time after an injury. It's sports, you know if you play long enough an injury is going to occur.

Recent Lawsuits - General Liability Policy

Assistant coach struck in the face by a pitched baseball while warming up the pitcher. FL $1,001,857
Spectator was struck in the jaw by an overthrown ball while standing in the spectator area. Player who threw the ball was warming up outside of the playing field. LA $326,212
Player drowned in the lake while on a team outing - picnic. SC $319,403
Spectator suffered dislocated elbow after being struck when strong winds blew tent over. NJ $62,346
Baseball player was hit in mouth by bat of another player while in on deck circle. FL $41,908
Spectator suffered leg laceration from metal bolt protruding from bleachers. RI $40,000
Spectator was hit in the head by a thrown ball during warm-ups resulting in head fracture and blood clot. MS $31,300
Coach was struck by baseball by one of the players from another team while coach was leaving the field. LA $13,898
Spectator fell off the grandstand and suffered head injury. SC $4,487
Youth football player was scolded by coach, humiliated, and forced to quit the team. CA $19,626
Infant was struck in head by foul ball. FL $5,000
Coach was observing tryouts from bleachers and caught foot and fell tearing ACL. NJ $12,906
While sliding into third base, claimant suffered laceration to lower leg. OH $15,829
Scorekeeper hit in head by foul ball resulting in concussion. MS $6,249
Spectator hit in face by baseball bat that flew out of batter's hand during swing. SC $5,078

Recent Injuries - Accident Policy

Assistant coach struck in face by pitched baseball while warming up pitcher. FL $104,000
Base runner suffered tendon/ligament damage to knee as a result of contact with home plate while sliding. TX $16,953
Infielder suffered fractured nose as a result of being struck by a thrown ball. LA $13,266
Pitcher suffered a fractured elbow as a result of being hit by a batted ball. NC $10,497
Base runner suffered a knee injury as a result of sliding foot first into a fixed base. TX $9,495
Youth football player was tackled and femur fractured when player fell on him. OH $18,218
Youth basketball player injured knee. TX $17,159
Adult soccer player suffered detached retina. CA $19,522
Adult soccer player suffered ACL tear. NV $18,872

When does it stop, where do we draw the line? I don't mind paying a tad bit more for safety either, but at some point inflation prices of products due to companies afraid of lawsuits will pass up wages and salaries to purchase the product. That's not good for the general economy.

Jan 25, 2011
Nanotech14 to deviate from this discussion a little.

How is your daughter doing?
good, no ill effects, she can't play yet until she has her MRI in January. They say that the her skull would already be healed now, but they like to wait until the 1 year mark before an MRI or lifting her restrictions. They really would like her to stay away from contact sports. My dd's dream of being an MMA fighter is over:( Thats the thing, I had several people say you should sue the school or the teacher or the school district. The hospital bills were and still are expensive, but it was an accident. Granted she has recoverd and is as normal as any 13yo girl can be, does still have swelling where they had cut the jaw muscle, but the Nerosurgent said it will go away. Vision is 20/20, still gets tired when she practices pitching a little sooner then before. But she has had a good summer, other then we had planned a trip to Cedar Point Amusment park but had to cancel because she wasn't allowed to ride rides.

thank you for asking, and sorry to those for being so beeotchy

Oct 19, 2009
good, no ill effects, she can't play yet until she has her MRI in January. They say that the her skull would already be healed now, but they like to wait until the 1 year mark before an MRI or lifting her restrictions. They really would like her to stay away from contact sports. My dd's dream of being an MMA fighter is over:( Thats the thing, I had several people say you should sue the school or the teacher or the school district. The hospital bills were and still are expensive, but it was an accident. Granted she has recoverd and is as normal as any 13yo girl can be, does still have swelling where they had cut the jaw muscle, but the Nerosurgent said it will go away. Vision is 20/20, still gets tired when she practices pitching a little sooner then before. But she has had a good summer, other then we had planned a trip to Cedar Point Amusment park but had to cancel because she wasn't allowed to ride rides.

thank you for asking, and sorry to those for being so beeotchy

Glad, she is doing well.

Hope she continues to improve.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Just the tip of the ice berg. Four more in the works if you goggle baseball/softball law suits. Three in NJ.
Don't hit a foul ball and hit someone in the stands, that is worth $150,000
Don't throw a wild pitch and hit someone that is worth $500,000
Don't let your bat slip out of your hands and hit the kid playing first base = $ unk amount so far. In litigation
Now the softball funny one. Parent is suing for kid not making team and costing his kid college softball money, so think twice about cutting someone from your team. Yes it is still in court and went to a higher court.
Keep in mind these are passed along to us after the insurance company has to settle.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
"Don't hit a foul ball and hit someone in the stands, that is worth $150,000"

This one I agree with. We have a softball complex near us that did not until recently have nets to stop foul balls. It was very dangerous and brought to the attention of the organization. They said it was a city thing and could not do anything about it. We were all waiting for the law suite to come. Finally, this past spring they put up the nets. The nets do not stop all foul balls but now it is just the occasional one.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Sorry for the long pause, I've been on the phone with my lawyer getting ready to file.

Suing Mizuno about their gloves, no way my DD shouldn't have a 1.000 fielding %.
Suing Anderson because DD is not going yard every at bat.
Suing Wilson for their balls breaking too much and my DD striking out.
Suing Nike since my DD can't run a 2.0 to first base.
Suing GE because the outfield lights keep shinning in my eyes.
Suing Cardinal Fences for building them too high for DD to go yard.
Suing Gatorade because they taste so good DD wants 2-3 a game.
Suing Bushnell because of inaccurate readings. ( should be pitching 75-80 mph easy )

Finally I'm suing the HS for letting my DD make the team. They completely destroyed my dreams of her dealing/doing drugs after school and joining a gang.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
"Finally I'm suing the HS for letting my DD make the team. They completely destroyed my dreams of her dealing/doing drugs after school and joining a gang."

She still has the off season to get pregnant and sign up for welfare.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
But he got hit by the ball, not the bat.

And there is absolutely no proof that this would not have occurred had the bat been made of wood.

And LL nor OTHER SANCTIONING bodies state that a bat or any other equipment is safe. They merely state that the equipment meets the standards set forth which they believe help makes the game safer.

Many, if not all, clearly make note that there are dangers of all sorts involved in the game of softball or baseball or whatever other sport in which you participate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA