Another lawsuit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
My prayers still go out for this tragedy.

I have no problem for parents trying to get "some" type of reimbursement for medical costs and continuation of " way of life" for this young man.

Let's say after medical insurance they have to pay $50,000 out of pocket for the next 40 years. Making him 58 years old. That's $2,000,000.

Way of life, let's say he would have had a job making $75,000 for 40 years. That's $3,000,000.

Home improvements for handicapped $100,000.

Handicapped van $50,000.

I'll even go $1,000,000 for pain and suffering.

That's $6,150,000.

What I don't like to see is people profit from these types of lawsuits. I don't want to see dad driving around in a new Hummer, mom a Lexus, sister a Viper. Designer clother and jewelry. Lavish vacations, while the young man is home bound with a nurse.

"but this settlement provides them with some relief and comfort that Steven will get the care he needs for the rest of his life," said the family's attorney. This should be the whole basis for a lawsuit.

So, you believe it is okay to arbitrarily hold someone responsible for something they are not? You want to know why the bat company was the target and NOT the team or player who hit the ball?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Let's say after medical insurance they have to pay $50,000 out of pocket for the next 40 years. Making him 58 years old. That's $2,000,000.

GD, that is not the way it works. In these situations, the medical insurance company is reimbursed for whatever it paid for the treatment of the young man. So, this money will probably go entirely for his care and treatment.

You probably recall getting letters from the insurance company whenever you have an injury and the insurance company asks you whether the injury was due to the fault of some other person. The insurance company does that so if you sue someone for your injuries, then it will get its money back.

The question is always, "Who should pay?" He won't be on his parents medical insurance past 25 YOA. Someone, somewhere will have to pay to take care of him after that. Should it be his parents or Medicaid or LL or LS?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
So, you believe it is okay to arbitrarily hold someone responsible for something they are not? You want to know why the bat company was the target and NOT the team or player who hit the ball?

Oh I know exactly why the bat company was targeted.....they have the most money of the 3.

So, you believe it is okay to arbitrarily hold someone responsible for something they are not?

I would absolutely not sue, but that's just me and my personal choice. I guess I was just raised differently.

My mother had polio when she was a baby. She has had health problems all her life because of it. She fought through daily pains and still managed to teach school for 20 years until her health got even worse. She is now confined to a wheelchair, but at 69 years old still is active in the local school and community.

My wife's brother has a child born with sever Cerebral Palsy, I can't even go into enough details how hard life has been on them......therapy, surgerys, mental anxiety, costs, etc. They are just an average middle class family, but they have done it all on their own with hard work and love.

I'm sure a few of our members have health issues and their children. Life is not perfect............

The question is always, "Who should pay?" He won't be on his parents medical insurance past 25 YOA. Someone, somewhere will have to pay to take care of him after that. Should it be his parents or Medicaid or LL or LS?

Mr. Ray I do understand to a point. But, either himself or his parents signed him up to play. They had ample time to investigate the rules and safety regulations of the organization. If they at anytime had issues with safety they could have simply resigned from the league. I'm sure this "hit" was not the first batted ball they saw, if they were concerned about return speed by what they saw before the accident.........that would be the time to act.

I drag raced for years. In drag racing each class has a specific strict guidelines for minimal safety requirements. Roll cage, helmet, 5 point harness, kill switch, etc. It was my choice, even though there was the chance of injury. Lucky I never got hurt, but if I did I would never try to sue because they didn't protect me more. It was my choice, and I took the chance............is the bottom line.

Like I said earlier, I bet he had a bat with the exact return speed that he used. Just like some of us on here that complain about how "hot" bat equipment is now and how dangerous it is and everyone needs a mask...............................................and then turn around and ask/post what is the "hottest" bat we can find for our DD's. We can't have it both ways. ( just my thoughts )

Mar 13, 2010
I would absolutely not sue, but that's just me and my personal choice. I guess I was just raised differently.

You wouldn't have a choice if your insurance is paying for care.

I work in car insurance. Customer got hit by a friend, friend didn't have third party and didn't pay. Cost was enough that we took it to court. Customer stated they didn't want to sue friend and wouldn't go to court. We advised customer that if they didn't attend court, we would sue them instead for the cost as its part of their contract that they assist us.

You want health insurance to pay for the injury and they feel they have grounds to sue you don't get a choice.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You wouldn't have a choice if your insurance is paying for care.

I work in car insurance. Customer got hit by a friend, friend didn't have third party and didn't pay. Cost was enough that we took it to court. Customer stated they didn't want to sue friend and wouldn't go to court. We advised customer that if they didn't attend court, we would sue them instead for the cost as its part of their contract that they assist us.

You want health insurance to pay for the injury and they feel they have grounds to sue you don't get a choice.

I agree and disagree. Don't know if it is different there, but here, no one is ever required to sue anyone. However, the insurance company can initiate the lawsuit without the participation of the aggrieved individual. Unfortunately, if the medical bills are higher than that for which one is insured, it would be fool-hearted for that individual to not join the action.

However, on a side note, this is exactly why the "waivers" all these organizations get so hot and bothered about are somewhat useless and provides little protection for the organization requiring them since no one can waive the rights of another.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA