Parents sue LL for 1,000,000 after son hit in face while pitching.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
It isn't just LL, but any league that doesn't check and enforce the bat regs is looking for trouble. I hope everything ends well, in this case. But adults do not normly grab the bat and put it in the trunk, unless something is wrong.

Yes and no. There was a player on our team that hit a line drive back to the pitcher. She got hit in the leg just below the knee. It dropped her like a brick. The UIC took the bat away from the player along with the ball and was going to ship them to the sanctioning body home office (NSA). This was this player's only bat. Now she has no bat to finish the tournament. This bat was stock, 100%. It would have taken 2 weeks to get the bat back (if ever). For this reason I can't blame someone for wanting to put the bat in the back of a trunk. To take away someone's $300 bat to have it "tested" is wrong. They couldn't do a field test at the site either, it had to be sent in. The question was asked "What if the bat is deemed illegal at the corporate office"? They would keep the bat, and not pay the player for it. No verification of bat testing, no verification of type of test used, etc. They get to keep it. Keep in mind this was a ball that hit the pitcher's leg.

I'm surely not advocating the use of illegal bats, but I think the overwhelming majority of players ARE using legal bats. The fact is that players practice more, are better athletes, are stronger and the quality of the bats is much better today than just a couple of years ago. The bats and players are doing what they are designed to do, hit the ball hard. But now when that happens and hits a player then the bat is to blame? I'm not buying it.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
In our Little League district, there is a bat check meeting before tournament play starts. All bats are checked for eligibility and alterations and they get a sticker on them signifying they are fit for play. The stickers are the perforated, non-removable type. If a player is found using a non-sanctioned bat, both the player and the manager are ejected from the game and the following game.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
If there was not foul play 1) they would not be using the same bat, and 2) it would no have been removed immediately. However, suing LL solves nothing. A civil suit against the parents of the player if there is wrong doing would not be out of my realm of thinking.

May 10, 2010
You'd have to remove the endcap and look inside. You'd see lathe marks on the inside of the barrel
Then how is an umpire know it has been shaved. It seams there should be a way to test bats on site without destroying the bat. I kinda thought it was more of a myth that people altered bats for their kids. I was a machinist once upon a time and shaving a bat would not be an easy task. Rolling a bat would be a lot easier, they even sell a tool to do it. It is a shame that people do that.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
There are people who advertise shaving and rolling bats as a service.

Those should only be used for homerun derby's. I used to have one for those purposes when I was younger, but it was legal ( every contestant had a juiced bat ) because no one was on the field except a pitcher ( or machine ) but the pitcher was behind a safety cage.

Now every mom and pop wants little Suzie or Steven to hit the ball the hardest, without the hard work that should be involved. So they get those bats shaved for their own selfish reasons. That's why the individual ( parents ) should be sued at not the orgs. When someone sues an org that lets me know they are only doing it for the money. Sue the person, make their life hell because they put others in danger, and you'll slowly make everyone afraid to take the chance on altered bats.

Jul 2, 2013
Those should only be used for homerun derby's. I used to have one for those purposes when I was younger, but it was legal ( every contestant had a juiced bat ) because no one was on the field except a pitcher ( or machine ) but the pitcher was behind a safety cage.

Now every mom and pop wants little Suzie or Steven to hit the ball the hardest, without the hard work that should be involved. So they get those bats shaved for their own selfish reasons. That's why the individual ( parents ) should be sued at not the orgs. When someone sues an org that lets me know they are only doing it for the money. Sue the person, make their life hell because they put others in danger, and you'll slowly make everyone afraid to take the chance on altered bats.

Altered bats should NEVER be allowed on the softball field EVER. Home Run Derby's are a joke, and to use that as an argument for anything makes me question your ethics.

My DD is a power hitter, has never altered her bat, and as she gets older has gone to a drop 9, considering a drop 8, to get even more power. The heavier bats have a larger sweet spot. A shaved bat will have a smaller sweet spot, though when struck sweetly, can go a mile. And no, she has never won a HR Derby.

Cheating, is cheating, HR Derby or not. Play within the rules, because the only thing being cheated by altered bats is your DD's future because she tried to take short cuts in the past, and now comes up short when older and the playing field becomes "level" ... sigh.

Older power hitters, 16U and 18U, will clear the fence EVERY time 200' and 220', when they get good contact. To alter a bat to clear the fences means you are not a good power hitter. My DD can clear the fence almost every time during soft toss when in a groove. And no, she is not something extra special. Just an ordinary, good power hitter, on the High School level.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00