Another lawsuit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
so if it was a wood bat, they should be able to sue GOD or whom ever a person believes to be their creator?

Now you are just trolling.

When is the last time you went to a MLB game and said, "Great game! It would have been so much better if they had used composite bats though!".

Never.

This all comes down to money (bat companies I am looking at you).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A person shouldn't be accountable for what she/he says? A person can say anything, right or wrong, truth or lie, and not be responsible?

If you buy an oil filter for your car and the packaging says, "For use on 2010 Corvette", and in fact the oil filter isn't and destroys the engine in your car, then that would be OK with you? You wouldn't expect the maker of the filter to replace your engine?

Litttle League certified the bat as safe for youth baseball. Louisville Sluggers put that certification on the bat. So, LS was advertising the bat as safe for use in youth baseball. LS paid LL to put the advertisement on the bat. LS used the advertisement in order to sell bats. As it turned out, LL and LS were wrong...the bat wasn't safe for use in youth baseball.

Additionally, this idea that somehow the parents got a windfall because they got $14.4 million is stupid. You are talking about taking care of a child for the rest of his life...probably another 40 or 50 years. 14.4 millions sounds pretty cheap to me.

Nanotech: God didn't put an advertisement on a tree saying, "Safe for use in LL baseball".

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Again I hate these types of topics. We can't put a dollar value on a human life, but we can't keep going on this path as a society and survive.

Sluggers, I had a Roush Mustang a couple of years back. Close to 600 hp on pump gas. It had "Y" rated tires that are "safe" to 189mph. That doesn't mean I was safe from harm as long as I kept it under 190. I shouldn't sue the tire company because I chose to drive 185 down main street and hit a child crossing the road. Even though the tires state "safe up to speeds of 189 mph".

Millington High football player Dana Payne 'died doing what he loved,' mom says » The Commercial Appeal

This happened a few days ago at a school 15 mins down the road. He got tackled by another single player at practice and died. So does that give the parents the right to sue the pad company for not fully protecting the boy?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Girl at DD’s elementary school drowned this year jumping off a bridge into a lake in the back of the school. No swimming signs, etc. Local media got all wound up about bullying and some other things.

Her Parents wanted nothing to do with it. They were obviously very upset but said it was an accident, they are not looking for someone to blame. Please let us put our child to rest and stop trying to find someone for us to blame.

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-bol...er-elementary-school-20120515,0,6002208.story

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Now you are just trolling.

When is the last time you went to a MLB game and said, "Great game! It would have been so much better if they had used composite bats though!".

Never.

This all comes down to money (bat companies I am looking at you).
I'm not trolling you troll,been on here longer then you. If you are that dense, that you cant understand the point then maybe this this forum is not right for you. They sued the bat company because of the bat being metal. God or who ever you consider your creator, created wood, so who would they sue then, if the kid was injured by a wood bat, then what?

Jan 25, 2011
A person shouldn't be accountable for what she/he says? A person can say anything, right or wrong, truth or lie, and not be responsible?

If you buy an oil filter for your car and the packaging says, "For use on 2010 Corvette", and in fact the oil filter isn't and destroys the engine in your car, then that would be OK with you? You wouldn't expect the maker of the filter to replace your engine?

Litttle League certified the bat as safe for youth baseball. Louisville Sluggers put that certification on the bat. So, LS was advertising the bat as safe for use in youth baseball. LS paid LL to put the advertisement on the bat. LS used the advertisement in order to sell bats. As it turned out, LL and LS were wrong...the bat wasn't safe for use in youth baseball.

Additionally, this idea that somehow the parents got a windfall because they got $14.4 million is stupid. You are talking about taking care of a child for the rest of his life...probably another 40 or 50 years. 14.4 millions sounds pretty cheap to me.

Nanotech: God didn't put an advertisement on a tree saying, "Safe for use in LL baseball".
Last year a boy died with the same injury. He was trying to bunt and was hit with the ball. So who should get sued for that, the ball more then likely was approved for use by LL. The pitcher was of age for LL. The parents had the right to go to a store or go on line and buy a heart gaurd for their child, but did not. Tragedy? YES, but whos really at fault? No one it was a accident!!!

May 17, 2012
Last year a boy died with the same injury. He was trying to bunt and was hit with the ball. So who should get sued for that, the ball more then likely was approved for use by LL. The pitcher was of age for LL. The parents had the right to go to a store or go on line and buy a heart gaurd for their child, but did not. Tragedy? YES, but whos really at fault? No one it was a accident!!!

There is no research to substantiate that the "heart guards" actually do what they say they will do.

Jan 25, 2011
There is no research to substantiate that the "heart guards" actually do what they say they will do.
That is true, but there is no research that they don't do what they say they will do. My daughter has the evo sheild shirt and it seems pretty hard to me. Better then nothing, I have to ask, what do you think of the mask that girls wear in the field?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
But who really pays for it? Everyone else for all the years to come. The LL will raise their fees to cover the loss, the bat company will charge more to cover their loss. Pretty soon leagues and bat companies won't allow anything that can be hit past the infield. That bat that costs $50 to make and $100 of company profit now comes with a price tag of an additional $200 to cover any and every lawsuit. One family gets $15 million, and the rest of us pay for it ( literally) in the long run.

I don't have a problem paying a little more on bats and balls and fees to take care of kids who are disabled for life because of the events of a youth baseball or softball game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA