Another lawsuit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
"Finally I'm suing the HS for letting my DD make the team. They completely destroyed my dreams of her dealing/doing drugs after school and joining a gang."

She still has the off season to get pregnant and sign up for welfare.

Or a Reality TV show, which IMO do not exist.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
And LL nor OTHER SANCTIONING bodies state that a bat or any other equipment is safe.

From LL's web page Why You Should Choose the Little League Program--

Chartered Little Leagues play under time-tested safety rules and regulations. Mandatory use of the safest equipment possible -- much of it developed through Little League (batting helmet, full-size chest protector, catcher's helmet, non-wood bats, etc.).​

Game, set, match.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
I remember my grandfather got hit in the throat from a wayward ball when umpiring. This was before throat protectors were mandatory (and as a result of his injury they were made compulsory) his Adams apple moved. I'd it has moved the other way he'd have been dead. He should have sued.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
From LL's web page Why You Should Choose the Little League Program--

Chartered Little Leagues play under time-tested safety rules and regulations. Mandatory use of the safest equipment possible -- much of it developed through Little League (batting helmet, full-size chest protector, catcher's helmet, non-wood bats, etc.).​

Game, set, match.

Yep, the "safest". That comparative would indicate the use of equipment that would provide the least threat of danger or injury, not the elimination of such a threat. When that occurs, then they can state the equipment is safe to use.

Looks like Mrs. Shields was right when she said my 3rd grade english class would come in handy some day. :)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
"Winning" lawsuits in these tragic cases are nothing of the kind. Even with $14 million, at the end of the day, the parents will need to care for their child for the rest of their lives, and never realize any of the hopes and dreams they had when he/she was born, never attend a graduation, marriage, or any of the other things we take for granted when our children are born. I can't imagine coming to the end of my life trying to figure out how exactly my brain-damaged child will be cared for when I am gone. Stories like this don't really make me angry anymore. I am just grateful that my kids come home safe everyday.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I know PA SB Dad. I heard of 5 people last week with cancer. They are older, but it shows how quickly life can change.

People thought that I was over protective, because of some of the things that I refused to let my kids do. I just think that you can't protect them enough, anymore.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I know PA SB Dad. I heard of 5 people last week with cancer. They are older, but it shows how quickly life can change.

People thought that I was over protective, because of some of the things that I refused to let my kids do. I just think that you can't protect them enough, anymore.

Amy, I don't disagree, but how were you protected as a child?

Willing to bet that like myself, it came in the form of clear instruction/demonstration from a parent and heeding them were part of it. Of course, there was some mischievous experimentation in all of us, but when caught it came at a price. :)

Sometimes I have to wonder if today's parents do not rely too heavily on "society" to provide that guidance and then seek resolution elsewhere when it is not heeded.

I agree that an incident like this involving a child can be tragic and life-altering for everyone around the individual. It can incomprehensible continuing in one's life after an event like this. Recently, GD (12) had a seizure at 1am on a Friday. The panic which ran through the family was unbelievably stressful and that continued when a large brain tumor was discovered. I think everyone in the family from grandparents to cousins all aged a couple years that weekend. Luckily, all turned out well, but I wouldn't want to go through that again, let alone something as devastating as this NJ family will attempt to endure.

However, as unfortunate as it is, the company who made the bat is no more responsible than the child who hit the ball.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It might not be the case with this little boy, but how many kids do you see pitching and playing 3rd, that have no business being at those positions? I have a student right now, that can't play catch. The first day, I spent a lot of time on catching. She couldn't do it. She is 8. Finally, her dad said "She can pitch." So, we moved on and low and behold she can pitch. But, she hasn't been taught anything else. She got a bigger glove and we still try to work on her catching and she is still pretty iffy. So, Fall ball starts and this little 8yo got moved up to 10U, because she can pitch.

I have told the parents "She can't defend herself." I have had them buy her a mask. I have suggested a heart guard and one other set of parents went so far as to tell them "she shouldn't be out there."

At some point parents need to help their kids. It is just like I went through as a classroom teacher, a majority of the parents expected me to do it, in the short time that I had with their kids.

A line drive can nail anyone, even a MLB pitcher. Can baseball and softball be made safer? I think so.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My prayers still go out for this tragedy.

I have no problem for parents trying to get "some" type of reimbursement for medical costs and continuation of " way of life" for this young man.

Let's say after medical insurance they have to pay $50,000 out of pocket for the next 40 years. Making him 58 years old. That's $2,000,000.

Way of life, let's say he would have had a job making $75,000 for 40 years. That's $3,000,000.

Home improvements for handicapped $100,000.

Handicapped van $50,000.

I'll even go $1,000,000 for pain and suffering.

That's $6,150,000.

What I don't like to see is people profit from these types of lawsuits. I don't want to see dad driving around in a new Hummer, mom a Lexus, sister a Viper. Designer clother and jewelry. Lavish vacations, while the young man is home bound with a nurse.

"but this settlement provides them with some relief and comfort that Steven will get the care he needs for the rest of his life," said the family's attorney. This should be the whole basis for a lawsuit.

Edit: The FCA estimates lifetime costs of someone with TBI to cost up to $4,000,000. That's medical, home improvements, therapy, Rehibilitation. That's a long way off from 14.5 million $$.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA