An ump walks into a bar....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
The reason I ask is that in NYS, umpires are specifically trained to ask for help on a pulled foot before making the safe/out call. We encourage umpires to get the call right immediately, not after a coach goes ballistic and the umpires conference with each other. I understand that other groups choose to handle this differently, but in NYS, we prefer to get the call right initially.

So what happens when the PU can't provide help because s/he is taking care of other responsibilities on the runners s/he is responsible for?

Mar 2, 2013
So what happens when the PU can't provide help because s/he is taking care of other responsibilities on the runners s/he is responsible for?

I don't buy the argument that the plate umpire doesn't have an angle on the play at 1st base. Though the plate umpire should pay attention to other responsibilities, he should watch the play at 1st base. How else would he help out the old fashion way when the umpire blows the call, gets yelled at, calls time and then goes in to his partner for help? If, for some poor excuse, the plate umpire isn't able to help out, he should call time and the two umpires can get together and use the information that both of them have to make the call. Of course, the base umpire would be the one to make the call in that situation.

On the 1/2 dozen forums I am on, at least five or six times a year someone brings up the issue of the roof caving in because the call was made, only for the umpire to go for help and change the call. Never, never have I seen or heard of a problem by those who go for help initially.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I don't buy the argument that the plate umpire doesn't have an angle on the play at 1st base. Though the plate umpire should pay attention to other responsibilities, he should watch the play at 1st base. How else would he help out the old fashion way when the umpire blows the call, gets yelled at, calls time and then goes in to his partner for help? If, for some poor excuse, the plate umpire isn't able to help out, he should call time and the two umpires can get together and use the information that both of them have to make the call. Of course, the base umpire would be the one to make the call in that situation.

On the 1/2 dozen forums I am on, at least five or six times a year someone brings up the issue of the roof caving in because the call was made, only for the umpire to go for help and change the call. Never, never have I seen or heard of a problem by those who go for help initially.

Yet, the question wasn't answered. What happens if there is no help to be rendered? What if there is subsequent action that involve the umpire that draws him/her away from that angle? What if that umpire just ducked, or failed to duck a discarded bat? Should the defense just stop and what on your conference, or make a play on the other three runners only to have all that figured out after the fact? The "what ifs" and "coulda, woulda shoulda" may go on for days.

The umpire should call what the umpire sees. Make a judgment and make a decision. You want more angles covered, assign more umpires, but even that has no guarantee a every facet of a play will be covered. As has been shown on TV on all sports, even with twice as many angles and slow motion, it is still possible to not come to a definite resolution.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I was thinking about this thread as I was watching the World Series last night. There was a blown call at second base - the original ruling was that the field player (F6? I tuned in after the live play) had caught the ball and the forced runner was out. The umpires immediately got together, talked about it, and overruled, saying that the fielder did not have control of the ball (which the instant replay showed was true - the ball ticked off of his glove). A controversial ruling which the announcers proceeded to discuss for the entire rest of the game. But anyway... the point...

It used to be that if a field umpire made a ruling, that was that. It was his call and there was no discussion. Now, the umpires will routinely get together on a borderline type of a call to make sure they get it right. There's talk of going to replay challenges for next year, which may fine-tune the calling of the game a bit more. (I know all of this because of the lengthy, come-at-it-from-all-angles discussion by the announcers... but I digress...)

It will be interesting to see how all of this trickles down through the college, high school and youth ranks - my bet is that there will be more of an expectation that umpires routinely work as a team to get calls right. We see some of that already, but I wonder if we will see more of it in the coming years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
On wristbands-watch closely at many of the top teams in softball and youll see them using them offensively. On defense its mainly catchers using them.

Point is hand signs are not the only effective form these days and manyof the best programs understand that.

And many times the call is a fake or no call. Figuring out the numbers/plays of a true matrix system is impossible. Now the kids could read the situtation and assume the limited possibilities and respond to that in which I say that is a awesome skill!

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
As an umpire, I have learned that when a coach says...."we just want to get the call right", it usually means "We just want the call to go our way."

Think about it...how many times have you seen the coach of a team that benefited from a controversial call come out and say..."Hey, Blue...I think my runner was really out, can you check with your partner? We just want to get the call right."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877