An ump walks into a bar....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
This isn’t really a joke but I hope you find it interesting. : ) Something great about an ump and something I have never seen before.

My DD had a 14U tourney last weekend in NY State and there were two unusual things that happened over the span of 6 games.

The plate ump did a terrific job and I told him so after the game. He had a reasonable strike zone and he was very consistent. I was sitting maybe 8 feet away keeping score and helping the catcher call pitches (trying to help her exploit swing faults). Our pitcher threw a lot of pitches over the plate, but just below the strike zone. She threw 60% strikes but that’s where she missed the most. Even though so many pitches were close, he did not waver. What was a ball in the 1st inning was a ball in the 7th inning. It was a really good job. This may not be so unusual, but it was impressive none the less. I don’t think I could have been that consistent with so many balls tightly clustered at the bottom edge of a strike zone.

In another game (the tourney finals) the base ump got royally pissed off at the plate ump and twice got in his face. Once was during the game and he screamed at him in the parking lot after the game.

First incident: Base ump makes a close call at second base in a tie game. It went against us and our parents were yapping at him. The plate ump goes over to the fence and tries to explain to our parents why our runner was out. Let's say, our parents were unconvinced. After our half inning was over, the base ump stormed over to the plate ump and menacingly/loudly told him “Don’t you ever try to explain MY calls. That is MY call and if there needs to be an explanation, I’ll be the one to give it!” The spittle drenched plate ump shrugged and trundled back to continue his duties.

Second Incident: Base ump calls their runner out at first base. Our first baseman made a long stretch for the ball. I thought she kept contact with the bag when she caught the ball and then pulled off the bag. The other coach asked for a second opinion and the plate ump asked the plate ump. The plate ump ruled the first baseman came off the bag and the player was safe. The base ump was torched. He was later overheard screaming at the plate ump in the parking lot, “Don’t you ever overrule me!”

Now that is something I have never seen before.

Jun 1, 2013
Ump walks into a bar, sits down , then he says "Give me a F***'n beer."
Bartender slapped the ump across the mouth for using profanity.

According to umps on this site, there is no overuling.

Thanks for giving an unbiased account of what appears to be the only known occurrence of umps publicly speaking about the unspoken rule.

Jun 22, 2008
Easton, and herein lies the problem. You and others are told countless times what the rules are and how things are actually suppose to be. You continue to argue it should be another way even after repeatedly being told otherwise and you dont expect someone to eventually blow a gasket?

In the original post both umpires are completely out of line. In situation 1, the plate ump had no business explaining anything to the fans in any way at all. The fans should never be addressed and regardless another umpire should never explain the call of a different umpire to anyone. The base umpire was also completely out of line for taking up the situation during the game and in public.

In the second situation from the post I dont know exactly how the base ump asked for the information from the plate umpire. But, once again I will explain, no umpire has the authority to overrule another umpires call. I dont know if the 2 umpires got together privately to discuss the call, or if the base ump just verbally requested a check for a pulled foot from across the diamond. Regardless, it still is not the plate umpires call, it belongs to the base ump to either stay with his call or change it. Now, that being said, if the base ump didnt want the information from the plate ump he should have never asked in the first place. And then having a screaming match in public earshot was beyond stupid. Both umpires were wrong and not sure either of them should be on the field.

And for your information the rule is ASA 10-3-B. Under no circumstances will an umpire seek to reverse a decision made by another associate, nor shall any umpire criticize or interfere with the duties of their associates, unless asked to do so.

But then again since you have umped before you should already know what the rule is.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013
You are just being silly Comp. The term "overruled" is being used to describe when an appeal is made and the other ump makes a different call. You might say they confer, more information is given and the original ump changes the call. However you say it, the scenario is the same. Less professional umps sometimes skip the whole "conference" and just point to their associate for a call. Great example is a call when the batter check swings and the strike isn't called. As for my umping experience, it is limited at best and I made clear I was no good at it. I much prefer coaching or even stand sitting to umping. Some people should be umps, some shouldn't be umps, and some umps should recognize which category they belong to. Now quit sniping at me because your buddy is on the hot seat. Thanks.

Jul 6, 2013
My question is the OP was calling pitches from behind the backstop? In what organization is this legal? If I missed something I apologize. Just don't know how else he is 8 feet away.

Jul 26, 2010
My advice to the OP is to get a lawnchair and a lemonaid and camp out in left field. There are those among us that can make every moment of life an episode of Jerry Springer.

-W

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You are just being silly Comp. The term "overruled" is being used to describe when an appeal is made and the other ump makes a different call. You might say they confer, more information is given and the original ump changes the call. However you say it, the scenario is the same. Less professional umps sometimes skip the whole "conference" and just point to their associate for a call. Great example is a call when the batter check swings and the strike isn't called. As for my umping experience, it is limited at best and I made clear I was no good at it. I much prefer coaching or even stand sitting to umping. Some people should be umps, some shouldn't be umps, and some umps should recognize which category they belong to. Now quit sniping at me because your buddy is on the hot seat. Thanks.

Speaking of categories, apparently you don't know what an appeal is. There are only four types of appeal: Missing a base, leaving a base too soon on a caught fly ball, batting out of order and attempting to advance to 2nd base after making a turn at first. The last really isn't an appeal, but the people in the softball have a hard time grasping that it is just continuous play.

On a check swing, pulled foot or any time there may be consideration of another umpire's view, it is simply an umpire asking for additional information to confirm or amend the ruling. Under no circumstance is anyone, but the umpire making the original call to determine a final ruling. And with a few exceptions, there is no requirement for an umpire to seek such help or to amend the original call should s/he believe there wasn't enough additional information to warrant it.

My question is the OP was calling pitches from behind the backstop? In what organization is this legal? If I missed something I apologize. Just don't know how else he is 8 feet away.

There is no rule dictating from where a pitcher may take a signal. It can be her grandmother in the concession stand, that is okay. The only rule in place in most, if not all organizations is that the pitcher must simulate taking a signal from the catcher. The purpose is to force a set position for the pitcher prior to any movement associated with the pitch. Personally, I would be okay if they just stated they must come to a stop, but I'm afraid that would be bastardized just as the hands coming together for 1 second has. OTOH, some orgs have moved to 2 seconds which is what I would like to see all go to.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
However, in this case, the Ump that got "over ruled" brought this on himself because he asked for help instead of conferring with plate umpire one on one. IMO, a conference should have been done had the base umpire actually wanted help. Otherwise, as pointed out, he didn't have to request help.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi