Amy- Total Control Sports Ball question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm going to order some TCBs, but I'm wondering whether I should get the regular size or the large ones.
I would like to work on power hitting with both DDs so I started thinking about the Atomic size but thought I should ask someone who has used them first.

With the regular size, it seems there might be more use with other players on my teams, but I really don't know.

thanks!

I mentioned Amy's name only because I knew that she used these. I see now there are plenty others who do as well but i can't change the title of the post.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't have the large ones. I went to their site today and I see that they have added new products.

I believe that it was Hitter that said that the big ones might be too heavy for young ladies to hit very often. I can only recommend the small ones and they can be used for both baseball and softball.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
What are these? Looked at the website and am still not sure.

Look at the sample training video on the website which shows two swings, one with an off-center hit and the other with perfect contact. In general, these heavy, gel-filled training balls will give the batter immediate feedback when they make contact with the ball (i.e. off-center hits pancake the ball and the ball does not go anywhere; however solid hits send the ball forward (line drive), while maintaining most of its original shape). The balls will not travel that far (10 - 25 feet depending on the players size?) so you can use them safely for soft toss without a net and fear of the tosser getting hit. They are expensive but seem like a great training tool. My DD has used them with her hitting intructor. Don't know if the brand was actually TCB, but they acted similar to this product.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I was the one that tested the product and got Howard/hitter started using them. The small ones are 14.99 oz. I have some of the larger balls and I wouldn't even suggest Bustos hit them. The are too heavy and the bat stops/slows down at contact. I would regard them the same as hitting basketballs , don't do it. I guess if all your kids were MLB players and over 18, you might have a use.

Mar 11, 2009
Our 12u uses the small ones on a regular basis. We like them only wish they weren't so costly

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
As other have already said, the biggger ones are just to heavy. The smaller ones are great and can be used in tight quarters. We hit them in our garage. They add a nice mix of drills that we can do during the winter in the garage now.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd likes to hit these before games. In the past we've used whiffle balls at certain locations/tournaments because of practice area limits. Now we will use these.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
We haven't used the big ones - we use a few 16" softballs instead.

TC has just come out with the Total Control wiffle ball. We haven't hit with them but I have seen them and I'll be getting some of the whiffle balls. It appears they'll have much more longevity than a wiffle ball, won't fly as far, won't sting as bad when you get nailed and you'll be able to get more zip on your pitch vs. the regular total control ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00