All-Star try outs/player with sickdad.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Take your niece, for all of the work you are putting in you deserve some latitude. Its Rec All Stars, not the Olympic team!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Her father (My brother in-law) is currently fighting late stage lung cancer the has spread to Lymph nodes. Chemo and radiation. Its looking rough! My sister in-law told me not to do her any favors for this situation to treat her like any other girl. What do I do?

Do her a favor.

I feel I want to help bring some joy to my nieces life but then I will be taking 4 mabey 5 players from my in house team. That's too much for it not to look political.

Yes it will.

Any help Please!!

Go to the board and tell them what is going on, give them a couple of suggestions on how to handle it, and talk it over.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
How about you listen to her mother. There might be more there then just the all stars. Maybe mom wants her dd home more to spend more time with dad and softball will distract and possibly keep her from spending parts of the last summer he has. My son played on his LL all stars for 3 years, he doesn't remember half of what I remember. It obviously meant more to me then him partly because we did it together. Let her spend the time with Dad, in 15 years it will mean a lot more to her then playing softball with a bunch of girls she hasn't seen since.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This may be the last time, that the dad can see her play ball.

What position does she play? For instance, I would make her the best right fielder, that she could become between now and tryouts. Do not take the top 12 players, take the top girls at their position. I have coached All Stars in the past, where I end of with 5 pitchers, 1 catcher and 6 short stops. It never worked out trying to teach players new positions, at that point.

Apr 11, 2012
This may be the last time, that the dad can see her play ball.

it's heart wrenching...but an excellent point that someone had to say to help....

you won't second guess your self having her on the team a year from now....if you were going to take 12, just up it to 13 and don't look back....

Feb 19, 2012
West US
china made a good alternate point-maybe your sister fears the commitment she'll have to make while trying to spend her last few months with her husband. Maybe see how she really feels about it, and if she's giving you an out so you dont't have guilt, or she'd rather end the season and prepare for the inevitable. Prayers for your family.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
i would check with the board..we always had 10 spots voted on or tryout basis and the head coach had 2 or 3 picks if they wanted to carry that many players..that was the reward for being selected all star manager/coach. take her

Dec 4, 2010
All right here we go serious stuff. My niece is a marginal 12u player. At times she can hold her own at times she struggles but good girl. At times difficult to deal with but she LOVES softball. Im coaching/manager 12U All-Stars for our town this year (My 1st yr) and tryouts are next Sat. She wants to try out. I love her I know as far as her "Talent" she may not make team. Its my niece. Her father (My brother in-law) is currently fighting late stage lung cancer the has spread to Lymph nodes. Chemo and radiation. Its looking rough! My sister in-law told me not to do her any favors for this situation to treat her like any other girl. What do I do? I feel I want to help bring some joy to my nieces life but then I will be taking 4 mabey 5 players from my in house team. That's too much for it not to look political. I want her to have some good childhood memories but............... Damn. There may be more talented kids trying out that deserve a shot. You know All-Star parents are NUTZ!! Any help Please!!

Softball and All-stars is not all about softball and winning games. Sometimes its about life lessons,building character, and learning to do the right thing as a team. I think that if the father and the family are on board for her to play, then she plays. Put her in the games in the correct postion for her skills, play her as much as you can if the father is there, play here less if the father can't be there.
The joy you bring to the father to see his daughter play in the late stages of his life is worth every penny of grief anybody could give you over your decision.
Just my two cents

Apr 16, 2013
First, is she able to work with you alot? Are you able? A lot of times the difference between a "B" level player and an "A" level player is how much they work with their parent(s). Ask her, if you get her on the all-star team, is she willing to work her butt off. A LOT can be accomplished in one month at this level. I can't imagine anything a father would like to see more than his daughter accomplishing something like that, especially if she said it was for him.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck