All Star AFX Chest Protector

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2022
My daughter recently got the All Star AFX gear in medium and she really likes it. The issue is the chest protector is big enough to fit 2 of her. I have tried adjusting the straps and it still seems HUGE. I am looking at the size small, but it is only 1 inch difference. What am I missing? I looked online to see a video guide on how to better adjust the protector, but I couldn't find anything. Anyone have any insight?

May 29, 2015
Sounds as if the problem isn't the chest protector, it is the straps.

Look for replacement straps or a replacement harness (or rig up your own). I'm not sure about kid sizes, but umpires frequently replace the harness on their chest protector to get a more proper fit.

Not sure if this would work for you, but here is a recommendation that can at least give you ideas: https://www.ump-attire.com/Products/ULF-CP-HARN/UMPLIFE-Flex-Umpire-Chest-Protector-Harness

The All-Star Delta Flex is another good one.

Thank you for not just throwing it on her like a potato sack! Safety equipment needs to fit properly.

EDIT: looked at a picture of the AFX ... yeah, that harness is problematic. Adjusting the over-the-shoulder straps will pull the around-the-waste straps way out of position. The bottom straps need to be angled like the two harnesses I posted above. I just don't know if either would be small enough though.

Jul 11, 2023
+1 on replacing the harness. Kind of annoying but the youth Delta Flex appears to have done the job for us. We're still size small there.

I was able to get the thing to fit with the included harness but the waist strap was so short it would easily pull through the loop of shoulder straps. No way was that going to be easy to quickly get on between innings. The Delta Flex harness has both sides sewn in place.

Delta Flex straps are a little narrower than AFX so it connects fine in the shoulders.

Jul 11, 2023
Took a picture with the replacement harness attached for reference. The shoulder straps come out at an awkward angle compared to the AFX harness. We've only worn it once and not in a game but in that practice session there were no complaints about fit or feel. Only thing that wasn't liked were the clips around the waist. They're a little stiffer than the AFX ones.

We're maxed out on the adjustment of both harnesses. The Delta Flex is also doesn't stretch quite like the AFX does. Presumably because the AFX I guess is technically 2 independent pieces. It seems like the Delta Flex is less and stays in place better. But it quite possibly could be because the clips are smaller and it's fractionally shorter. Or because we tried it on different days. YMMV there.

PXL_20230803_135851822.jpg

Jan 22, 2022
Took a picture with the replacement harness attached for reference. The shoulder straps come out at an awkward angle compared to the AFX harness. We've only worn it once and not in a game but in that practice session there were no complaints about fit or feel. Only thing that wasn't liked were the clips around the waist. They're a little stiffer than the AFX ones.

We're maxed out on the adjustment of both harnesses. The Delta Flex is also doesn't stretch quite like the AFX does. Presumably because the AFX I guess is technically 2 independent pieces. It seems like the Delta Flex is less and stays in place better. But it quite possibly could be because the clips are smaller and it's fractionally shorter. Or because we tried it on different days. YMMV there.

View attachment 28490
Do we get a youth or adult size delta flex? My daughter is 11 and the medium gear seems to fit except the chest protector.

Jul 11, 2023
We went with the youth. The AFX harness will be the backup. At least until we start growing in a direction other than vertically. Then we'll decide which she likes better.

My DD isn't quite 11 yet. Just cracked the 5' mark but is mostly legs so the small size chest protector is better for her.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023
Oh, and just an observation from watching College. Regardless of body type, the chest has an illusion of being bunched up. So depending on how you gauge fit, the eyeball test is probably lower priority compared to other brands.

We really need to get after it in a workout to see how it performs. I'm still skeptical for thin build youth catchers and holding on to the old chest protector for a while.

Jan 22, 2022
We went with the youth. The AFX harness will be the backup. At least until we start growing in a direction other than vertically. Then we'll decide which she likes better.

My DD isn't quite 11 yet. Just cracked the 5' mark but is mostly legs so the small size chest protector is better for her.
Your insight has been most helpful. I have just ordered the youth harness. Any tricks/tips on attaching to the AFX? Patience? If this doesn't work, I will also order the size small and try and use this harness with the smaller chest protector. Thanks again!

Jul 11, 2023
It should attach the same as the existing harness. And with the waist straps being independent and having a tag end on each side, I'm guessing it'll be easier to deal with than the provided harness. If it still a concern, pictures would probably be the next step so we can see what you're seeing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles