All Star AFX Chest Protector

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2023
We caught a pitching lesson so I grabbed a quick picture yesterday while she was just hanging out when the instructor was talking with the pitcher. Visually, I still don't like it. The chest part is fine. I understand what that's trying to accomplish. This picture may not capture it, but it still doesn't look snug around the waist and we've got it maxed out with the deltaflex harness. She says she likes it. And in observing her yesterday for the first time, she's not messing with it. It seems to stay where she wants it. Didn't get to see her block with it though. Everything that hit the ground seemed to bounce way over her head.

She came up as the emergency 3rd catcher that ended up catching a bunch more than expected last spring. Had her in Jen Schro Fundamentals this spring but she outgrew the legs. And I'm willing to error on the side of replacing helmets well before necessary. So the chest protector is just along for the ride to try to stay matching. The big takeaway from the backstory is it seems kids are probably too trusting of their coaches. They get stuck in something and assume that's just the way it is and never question it. So when they get something new, it's immediately better by comparison. They don't necessarily understand they are allowed an opinion. I have to observe body language and see if they're messing with something a lot to know that it's wrong because the kid doesn't know any better yet.

PXL_20230817_210656296~2.jpg

May 29, 2015
That looks like a better fit than 90% of what I see under HS level.

I would say the lower (or "waist") strap is less important than the upper one. You want to make sure the collarbone stays protected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles