Alabama v. Texas A&M

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
Thrilling game last night. Lots of momentum shifts. But holy cow do college coaches understand that it's within the rules to bring in a relief pitcher?? I mean they do know the the pitcher who starts the game doesn't have to finish, right?? Perhaps they have seen one or two baseball games in their lives? I mean what's the thought process?? "Hmmm. She's thrown 140 pitches. They're really starting to hit her hard. She's not fooling anyone. Given up a ton of walks, hits, and runs. I think we should leave her in the game." I don't get it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't know. I think that they live in a vacuum. Maybe #2 is absolutely no good. I wonder the same thing about HS coaches. I know of a very nice pitcher that has a major scholarship in her pocket. Her sophomore year, she pitched every meaningless game. By district, she developed tendonitis and missed the play-offs. Of course, so did the team.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Kind of surprised both coaches did not go to their bullpens in that game. In softball a pitcher is allowed to return to the mound, so even if Patrick Murphy pulled Jackie Traina, she could pitch again if the relief pitcher struggled!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Here is a thought. One season when Kenzie Fowler was struggling with back pain, Candrea would put in another pitcher and the defense would fall apart. Maybe the team needs their leader. ??

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thrilling game last night. Lots of momentum shifts. But holy cow do college coaches understand that it's within the rules to bring in a relief pitcher?? I mean they do know the the pitcher who starts the game doesn't have to finish, right?? Perhaps they have seen one or two baseball games in their lives? I mean what's the thought process?? "Hmmm. She's thrown 140 pitches. They're really starting to hit her hard. She's not fooling anyone. Given up a ton of walks, hits, and runs. I think we should leave her in the game." I don't get it.

Until baseball coaches were forced to do this, they didn't either. Eventually it is going to be forced on them. The sooner the better.

It needs to get down to the younger levels as well so there are more pitchers being developed and are getting the circle time they need to develop.

Coaches all say the same thing "We need to develop pitching depth" but when it comes down to it - they never do. Then when it is something happens and they are forced to pitch someone else, you end up with the Cal situation where they have inexperienced pitchers in tough situations.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The game was exciting but a disappointment for me who was pulling for A&M.

The problem I see in our area with a lot of decent to good private schools, is dads shopping their pitching DDs. An up and coming freshman slots in behind a senior, gets some innings the first year and then gets to be the super star for 3 years and the HS coach hopes he has another Freshman by the time she's a senior. The pitchers or their dads don't want a real division of innings and lets face it there are to many schools for everyone to have two good pitchers one or two years apart.

As I see it, the problem with Fastpitch is the pitch is to hard to master and requires an inordinate amount of extra work on the part of the pitcher and parent. No pitcher, no team.

Every baseball team has 6-8 kids who can give you innings to get you out of a game. Not so in softball. Often after the no 1 it's a big slope downhill. DDs club team is fortuante to have 3 decent pitchers to share the load but alas no superstar.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06