Samantha Show Texas A & M

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
One point I want to make is that how athletic a kid is should have no bearing on whether they should wear a mask or not. There are some very hard hit balls that no human has the reaction time to get (e.g. Tori Finucane, Missouri), especially the corners where a bad hop can and will happen at any time. Let's put this fallacy to rest.

I'm not disagreeing but that argument can made for any position on the field. An outfielder can catch a one hopper to the face just as easy as an infielder. It may be less likely but not impossible. I'm not opposed to any of the girls wearing a mask but what is the line you draw, where do you say there is no more risk?

Feb 17, 2015
normal IL
DD has played 2 years of travel now (10U and 11U now) Everyone on her team wears one culture change is a coming ,I would say of all teams we play 70-90% of girls are wearing them

Feb 7, 2013
I'm not disagreeing but that argument can made for any position on the field. An outfielder can catch a one hopper to the face just as easy as an infielder. It may be less likely but not impossible. I'm not opposed to any of the girls wearing a mask but what is the line you draw, where do you say there is no more risk?

I think you can appreciate the difference between the distance and reaction time of a 3rd baseman 25 feet away from the batter and an outfielder 130feet away?

As long as my DD lives under my roof, she will wear a mask when pitching. Period!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
HS softball has a higher risk than any other group and many players would do well to wear one. With the exception of a insignificant few, college coaches take no issue with a player who wants to wear a mask. Players that need a mask are another matter. However, mask or no mask if you have the goods you will get recruited. If you don't get recruited you need to look beyond the fact you wear a mask. The fact that some players in the SEC are now wearing masks pretty much debunks the mask stigma myth.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2014
i think a mask would let a person take more risk and be more aggressive
Totally agree. When DD joined her last team she was the only one wearing a mask. Too many of the girls on the team were still more afraid of the ball then they should be(pulling head on low throws, etc) my DD was more experienced than most so she was better than most, seeing her wear a mask and me explaining why to parents got more on board-by our first game all infielders had them. It helped them feel more confident, not a single girl pulled their head bc they feared getting hit.

Dec 20, 2012
I think you can appreciate the difference between the distance and reaction time of a 3rd baseman 25 feet away from the batter and an outfielder 130feet away?

As long as my DD lives under my roof, she will wear a mask when pitching. Period!

Yes I can, but they are called accidents for a reason. A 3rd baseman is expecting hot shots but an OF would be even less expectant of a bad hop. So regardless of the position there is a potential for any of them to be injured. The decision for your dd to wear a mask is your's alone and I have zero problem. But if another makes a decision for their dd to not wear one then they should not be chastised by any of those on here as well. I would like to know your position on bats and bringing down the exit speeds or lessening compressions on balls.. So many want masks but would not dare do anything to prevent their kid from dropping hr numbers. It's pretty hypocritical for those to preach the safety and minimizing risks but snarl when bats are brought into the discussion. They feel it is a God given right for their 90lb dd to hit 225 ft bombs. Just saying.

I have personally seen 2 shots to the face in 12 years, my dd and a 3rd baseman. The shot to 3rd was nothing to do with a batted ball. Runner on first and routine grounder to left. 3rd goes to bag, ss comes over about 10 ft in front 3rd like she was taking the throw in from lf. At the last second drops her glove and 3rd takes a shot the eye/cheek. Shattered her orbital socket and some dental damage. Could have happened at second or home, but should never have happened nonetheless. I'll play devil's advocate. Now that you have the whole infield wearing masks are you going to require the catcher to not remove hers??? Who on the field is more susceptible to injury from one hoppers combined with a collision? And speaking of collisions, the vast majority of head injuries and concussions that happen in softball/baseball are from collisions. There is a far greater chance of a catcher in full gear including their mask to collide with the P or one of the corners. Not once has that been discussed. This argument sounds like liberals and gun control. Some of the people on here take a something that is VERY rare in occurrence and get on a soap box while overlooking more common and equally dangerous situations.

I say let the orgs make their own decisions on masks. If USSSA or ASA make it a rule for them to be worn then wear it or don't play. But I'm sure there will be an option that would not require them, Premier or Triple Crown(just throwing out names).

Dec 20, 2012
I'll throw these few things in as well.

-Parents that believe their 14 yr old kid is the next coming of Ricketts and playing 18u. In reality this kid is avg at the 14u level and way below in 18u. Dad coaches a team in order to "showcase" this stud so he enters some major showcases. Now she has the potential to face some of the best competition in the region with zero business in the circle. He has just put her in more risk,with or or without a mask, than a adequately prepared kid without a mask.

-Umps shrinking the strike zone to nothing. Happens at every level and can get a P killed even with a mask. Either NCAA is wanting hr's in order to make the game more exciting and appealing to the non typical softball fan or a showcase ump has college coaches wanting to see some shots from potential recruits.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff