college game thoughts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
if I'm that pitcher (after the game and away from the others) I go into that coach's office and tell him "coach, that should've been MY game all the way". Rival team, I'm winning, nobody on, let me go right at her and not throw riseballs to her!!!!!!

Which is why coaches make the decisions and the players play

A pitcher who doesn't think s/he can get the next batter out shouldn't be on the mound.

Aug 21, 2008
Interesting comment and observation. Just finished watching Oregon v. FSU go 8 innings. Mike White pulled his starter in the 8th, with the game tied 1-1. His relief pitchers didn't give up a run, on the other hand FSU kept their starter in for the bottom of the 8th and she gave up a double to the lead-off batter, next batter bunts her to 3rd, the next batter hits a sac fly, runner scores, game over. I really like how Mike White coached the 8th to win the game.

By the way, your girl Jenna Lilley is starting to get her hitting groove back just in time for the post season...

Whitey is the smartest man in the game of softball. Case closed.

From what I saw on the ESPN crawler, Oregon was pounding FSU all weekend. So, FSU must've simply liked their odds with the score and situation as is given the result of other games. With so many runs/hits by Oregon, I'm guessing Whitey had FSU pitchers picked. This brings up another interesting opinion of mine.... if I'm FSU, I wouldn't have scheduled Oregon for so late in the season. Why give White a chance to pick those pitchers and hitters to see them knowing they may see them again in OKC? Mike White is like a Jedi when it comes to reading pitchers and getting into their heads. I'm not sure I'd have exposed my pitchers to Oregon so late in the year for a meaningless 3 game series.

Bill

Aug 21, 2008
Which is why coaches make the decisions and the players play

A pitcher who doesn't think s/he can get the next batter out shouldn't be on the mound.

I agree with statement #1 Ray, but I'm still keeping my opinion from a selfish perspective. If that other pitcher got in because it was senior day, and that's WHY she went in, I'd be even more furious. I'm just saying with a hard fought battle, I'd have wanted to finish it and being taken out with the circumstances of the hitter coming up, 2 outs, and the lead.

Your second statement is right... and wrong. There have been times when I personally have been exhausted, hurt, or whatever and said "we need someone fresh" during a mound visit. The balance of wanting to be out there and knowing when to get out yourself is so delicate. I have absolutely no idea if Bama's coach knew something, or just made the change on gut instinct. Again, I'm only telling you: with a lead, in the last game of the season (before post season), after battling all game, nobody on base, a hitter who's only swung the bat one time in 4 AB's (and knowing she's injured), vs. the arch rival... I'd have wanted to at least plead my case for the game during visit to the pitcher's circle.

Bill

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
In my recent down time, I've spent a lot of it binge watching shows on Netflix, etc. Today, as I was taking a break from binge watching Longmire on Netflix, I was surprised to see Auburn-Alabama was on ESPN as I turned on regular cable for a small break in my binge. This was the first college game I have watched this year and every time i watch college softball I am convinced more and more that I know nothing about pitching despite doing it for my entire life.

I will take Amanda all day and twice on Sunday (pardon the pun of today) over Michele Smith in the color commentary. But, I think even she gets the pitches thrown mixed up. She mentioned a few "back door curves" when it appeared to me that Alabama's pitcher (Osario??) was throwing a low rise. Low rises will often have some additional side spin to prevent them from going too high in the zone. But I don't think there's too much mistaking a low rise from a curveball (front door or back door).

Alabama avoided throwing to the girl who apparently got hit in the arm yesterday. I couldn't figure out why. Ok, maybe she's a good hitter but #1 she's injured, #2 she might be gunshy on anything inside, #3 she's probably very uncomfortable swinging and #4 she's not used to all that body armor. I'd have gone right at her instead of 4 walks.

Whomever calls pitches for Alabama lives in dangerous waters. My rule of thumb is, with a 1 run lead there is no such thing in my arsenal as a riseball after the 5th inning. Riseballs, flat ones and good ones that were simply connected, will go out of the park more often that drop balls with good or poor movement. If I'm winning 3-1 and nobody is on base... ok, I'll dangle a few. But once a runner hits base, it's drop city and change up all day long (especially if the change up has downward spin and/or is kept low).

Ok, Alabama is playing their arch rival Auburn on the last weekend of season play. The girl pitching the game is winning 3-2. With 2 outs in the 7th inning (nobody on base) the coach pulled her for a relief pitcher. I fully understand that the girl coming the the plate has hit 2 HR's already but, lets face it... she hit good pitches. They weren't flat, the balls were in her eyes and she got her hands up and hit them. BUT, and this is a huge BUT... if I'm that pitcher (after the game and away from the others) I go into that coach's office and tell him "coach, that should've been MY game all the way". Rival team, I'm winning, nobody on, let me go right at her and not throw riseballs to her!!!!!! Steam would've been coming outta my ears on TV had that been me getting pulled. The girl who came in got her to ground out on a low pitch (go figure) and all's well that ends well. But, the competitor in me would be having a very frank discussion about this after the game. Anyone who's pitched a game in their life will know exactly what I'm saying. Yes, it's selfish. And this is probably why the coach didn't go to the rubber and talk to the pitcher, he made an executive decision and went straight to the umpire.

My friend who was visiting me was probably annoyed at my constant commentary on things. LOL. Poor guy just wanted to watch a game and I'm dissecting every pitch.

Bill
Glad to see you posting...I always enjoy reading your input.:)

Dec 27, 2014
Orsorio was looking gassed out too.... she'd thrown something like 180 pitches in that game. Her control was suspect at times, In fact I believe she set a school record for BB in one game!
11 is a record? DD beat that in just her first season pitching when she was 9...several times. :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles