Affordable Bats for High school team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2014
I'd think you could get by with maybe 4 bats. 2 in the 32/22 size, one 33/23 and one either in 31 or 34" based on the size of your kids. If you shop around you could probably pick up some decent bats for around 600. A fund raiser or two could cover that pretty easily. Perhaps a sponsership from a local business or two.

I wish. We had to get some of the girls gloves because their parents cant afford them. The area we are in doesn't exactly scream sponsorship, we are working on it though.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Before I got in the business, I can tell what I used to do for fun.

I had a couple stores that I cleaned house on their very old stock of bats. Not some chain garbage store, I mean local stores that needed to liquidate inventory. I would call first and ask if they had any very old stock they might would like to clear out of their inventory. If I talked to the owner and he wanted to deal, I would go to the store. I was buying 4+ year old bats for 50-100 each that once retailed for very good money. These were brand new and full warranty.
I walked out of one store with 27 bats and only spent 2 thousand. Some of those bats still were selling at over 200 bucks each.

My point is, especially if you are trying to start a team, you might get a very good deal from a store needing to unload a few bats and would love to help a team out.
You have to find the right store, Some store owners have no clue and think a 3 year old bat should still retail for what they did when they came out.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If you are in a truely poor area and I'd expect you to give me the zip code, I have some equipment I could help you out with. If you'd rather not say in public you can PM me.

Feb 15, 2014
I was able to find a decent full composite 32/22 bat today which was only lightly used.

Also we finally found the bats they used last year. They are pretty lack luster though and dated.

We are still pushing to get our fences moved in. I have no earthly idea but it's 320 all the way around! Our program is a mess. I can't believe they didn't even have a tee. Some of the girls didn't have gloves,etc.

Step one was solving those major issues.

First practice is today Monday. Many of these girls never played before, have no idea about counts, basic fundamentals. Slightly overwhelmed.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Do you play fastpitch, there? If so, what do you do about pitching?

Also, if you are ordering their pants, please realize that you need girl's pants. Baseball pants don't fit us.

Feb 15, 2014
Yes it's a fast pitch varsity high school team.
The pitcher from last year is returning, so there is that. As far as anything beyond that, it gets dicey.

We have uniforms, thankfully. They are old but I'm glad we have them. Trying to get money from the school is difficult, as limited athletic funds go to basketball and football mostly. Uniforms will have to wait until next year.

I'm also trying to get our pitching machine either repaired or I will try to buy a used one online.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The pitching machine seems like a substantial expense that a lot of coaches seem to take a dim view of. Instead use up close front toss from behind a screen. Borrow one from baseball. :cool:

Mar 29, 2012
yes front toss behind a fence or run live pitching sessions, don't waste money on a machine it is better spent elsewhere.

watch for combat avaritia bats on ebay. Decent bat you can normally get for around $50-$60 new in wrapper.

Combat AVARFP3 Avaritia 32 22 Fastpitch Softball Bat New in Wrapper w Warranty | eBay

someone already posted a link to closeoutbats.com you can pick up some -10/-12 miken rev-ex there for $99 each.

you can pick up a halo light 32 for $80 here Miken Halo Light FP -12.5 Baseball Bat - Sport Chalet

small fast girls teach them small ball. Bunts, push bunts, drag bunts, soft slaps, hard slaps, hit and run, run and hit, fake bunt to slap, fake slap to bunt. Work a lot on base running strategies.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I have roughly 12 years of high school coaching and
1. Most serious kids will have their own bat.
2. If what you are posting about your kids get used in what James Smith posted. 34 -10 would probably be too heavy unless you have some travel ball kids.
Bats are basically the same. Girls will have confidence with a color will do better than a kid with a good bat. Confidence means more than what people think it does. Bats are basically the same, as long as you stay away from end loaded bats. The one thing you need to be aware of with high school kids they want to swing a heavy of a bat. They will drop their hands and struggle against good pitching.

We use the baseball pitching machine all the time, so if you can use one use it. Just keep in mind bunting is a weapon in softball and most baseball coaches don't understand the small ball game of softball. All my kids practice bunting and all types. I expect them all to bunt or they don't play.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole