Advice on 11YO swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2012
I have had a video since late winter of 11YO DD's swing off tee. Would appreciate any feedback on what you are seeing that needs work. The reason for posting now is that I felt we were in an OK place and this tee swing had continued through front toss and machine. At the beginning of the spring season it seemed that she had maintained but when we got to live pitching she doesn't even look similar. I would appreciate any tips on how to ingrain the swing more permanently. Are there any specific drills or approaches that seem to help.

I haven't figured out how to slow it down outside of RV pro so apologize for no slo-mo.

ag swings - YouTube

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Hey EJG, I can't get the vid to play here at work, and won't be home for more then 30 min until tomorrow night. If someone has time, maybe they could gif it.
I do feel your pain right now though. My 13yr old had a nice swing, good barrel turn, good stretch, in 16u league against fast pitching. Now we are at regular 12u tb and she has been fouling off and popping up more then normal. I got a parent to tape for me Saturday, she is leveling her barrel behind her, and trying to muscle every ball. Looks nothing like bp. :(

I will say that tonight I am going to back up from my normal pitching distance for her and she is going to think about swinging late. Relaxed on pitch release, begin loading while ball is coming in and turn the barrel to square up on the ball deep.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
When you stand straight up and swing, most of the time you have a level bat.
When i see level bat, most of the time it turns into a swing that hits across the ball, circular swing, short through the hitting zone.

Stand in front of a mirror, left shoulder facing mirror. Tell her to stick her butt out. You will see tilt from the waist up.
Now barely soften knees.
You will be standing tall but with tilt from the waist up.

Slow motion try some of these to feel the sequence....
Hand path device 2 2010 02 21 20 07 06 - YouTube

See how my dd's bat is not level with the ground. She has some tilt from waist up and bat angle.
Elbow higher than hands, hands higher than sweet part of barrel.

She is also working on hips leading the upper body

Straightleg

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2012
With that device, how do you know what angle to hold the stick? What is the paddle on the other end? I've seen post with you using it, but don't know exactly how your using it. Could you elaborate more on the device and how your using it?

Thanks
Chad

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
With that device, how do you know what angle to hold the stick? What is the paddle on the other end? I've seen post with you using it, but don't know exactly how your using it. Could you elaborate more on the device and how your using it?

Thanks
Chad

It is just a slow motion swing to feel the body movements. A visual aid. Less tilt on a chest high pitch, more tilit on one at the knees.
THe paddle is how the elbow travels in the swing.
Straight 2-4 inches then it goes up a ramp.

Different ball height, equals different degrees of body tilt and bat plane...

SL

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA