Administrative - League Tracking Birth Certificates

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
We have multiple clubs/ Teams that belong to a regional league, maybe 50 clubs and 1000 players. 8U – 18U, Rec. – B TB Teams.

We tried to get all the birth certificates and medical release forms off paper and into an electronic system last year and apparently failed and are starting over this year. All the Teams need to provide a paper copy of all the Birth Certificates/ Medical Release, Insurance information etc. again this year in a paper form.

The goal is not have to worry about the Birth Certificates every year, if we have it we do not need it again. What might have been the mistake is we registered by Team and not by Player so the Player’s information was hard to find.

Each club is managed differently. Our club has DD’s birth certificate somewhere so we do not need to provide it to them again but they need to go through the headache of finding and providing it to the League again.

Anyone else go through this and have any suggestions? Since we are starting from scratch a different system would be an option.

We currently use League Lineup for high level stuff like the Team Roster and standings but people do not think it will do the above job.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
We use League Athletics for our rec league. For individual player registration, you can upload an electronic copy of each players BC. I've done that each year for the All-Star teams and it's easy to print them out if you need a hard copy. For the regular rec league, it is hit or miss whether each parent has the technical saavy to upload a pdf.

For TB, we are stuck with paper, but we are playing PGF this year so I'm hoping that will be a more streamlined process (don't know yet).

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
We have multiple clubs/ Teams that belong to a regional league, maybe 50 clubs and 1000 players. 8U – 18U, Rec. – B TB Teams.

We tried to get all the birth certificates and medical release forms off paper and into an electronic system last year and apparently failed and are starting over this year. All the Teams need to provide a paper copy of all the Birth Certificates/ Medical Release, Insurance information etc. again this year in a paper form.

The goal is not have to worry about the Birth Certificates every year, if we have it we do not need it again. What might have been the mistake is we registered by Team and not by Player so the Player’s information was hard to find.

Each club is managed differently. Our club has DD’s birth certificate somewhere so we do not need to provide it to them again but they need to go through the headache of finding and providing it to the League again.

Anyone else go through this and have any suggestions? Since we are starting from scratch a different system would be an option.

We currently use League Lineup for high level stuff like the Team Roster and standings but people do not think it will do the above job.

Make Reg. size card with all the info League (Needs) & hand out to parents. Have them take it and the original and have it stamped by notary...them Laminate it. Then don't lose them....JMHO

Jun 1, 2013
Why not just get an rfid chip and implant on their hand or forehead? Could carry all info and then you could just scan it.

Jun 24, 2013
I am not sure why but Birth Certificates are a hassle, DD has had the same one for 12 years and DW has a stack of them.

(It is easier to get money out of some family’s then a birth certificate.)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
For TB, we are stuck with paper, but we are playing PGF this year so I'm hoping that will be a more streamlined process (don't know yet).
PGF doesn't use birth certificates - they use the first 5 digits of the Social Security Number instead. It appears they are now requiring the parents enter the information, which was not the case in previous years.

Jun 24, 2013
A little off my own topic but for the medical release form, a different sport, they recommended all the players medical release forms be scanned into your phone if you had one. I do not know if this was a theory or actually used but they said that would be acceptable for injury responders.

Same should apply for birth certificates, you can Email the tourney directory a copy of the birth certificate if there is any issues.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
While on this topic...

Why ask for insurance information? The league is not providing billable medical care.

I realize that if something were to occur, then the sanctioning body (ASA, PGF, USFA...etc) would need to know if they are paying as a primary or secondary payor, but that is handled by the entity providing the care and the payors. The information is only valid at the time of the incident. It doesn't matter if you had insurance the day you signed up to play in the league or not.

Why do leagues, schools, ..etc want this info?

Jun 24, 2013
It is just a line item on the form, no one checks to see if it is valid. You can put down anything you want or not at all.

Having gone to the Hospital having that information at the start helps a lot. If they write it in wrong or it is invalid they just have a mess to sort out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom