Adjustability

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
MLB hitters try to hold their hands, and the barrel, back as long as possible. They get their lower half going and get the foot down while they hold the hands back.

If they read fastball, the hands/barrel go immediately. If they read a slower pitch, they delay the throw of the barrel.

They push off of the back leg/foot. It is anywhere from partially unweighted, to fully unweighted during the time from when the barrel starts to go at the ball, until contact.

See below. Note where the barrel is in relation to where his weight is, in the pauses I included;

canhrderby3.gif

JB, over the last few days my work in the cages has been on accelerating the barrel from 12-to-6 (as opposed to accelerating from a 3-to-6)… basically a swingNOW! mentality from launch. One of my observations, among many, was that this focus gives a more natural feel of “trying to hold the hands, and the barrel, back as long as possible”. So the question back to you is, would you feel that a cue like “rightNOW!”, from launch, would give an identical result and/or feel relative to your description?

May 16, 2010
JB, over the last few days my work in the cages has been on accelerating the barrel from 12-to-6 (as opposed to accelerating from a 3-to-6)… basically a swingNOW! mentality from launch. One of my observations, among many, was that this focus gives a more natural feel of “trying to hold the hands, and the barrel, back as long as possible”. So the question back to you is, would you feel that a cue like “rightNOW!”, from launch, would give an identical result and/or feel relative to your description?

The rhythm and timing of the parts of the swing is difficult, if not impossible, to teach. The best hitters have great timing of the movement of the body parts.

That doesn't mean that it is a "no-teach." You must explain the fundamental sequence of lower half, then upper. Hips, handle, head (my phrase), etc. But, after the hitter gets the fundamentals down, it's a matter of practice and developing their own style, that will help them get the perfect rhythm and timing.

Leg kick, no leg kick, barrel in front, barrel in back, barrel up, barrel low. Placement of hands before load, etc. are all individual styles that the best develop as they try to figure out how to get rhythm and timing. There isn't just one way to load and launch, but whatever style you use, it must have the basics incorporated in it.

Don Slaught, with his RVP software and his checkpoints, show that even with visually different styles of stance and load; all MLB hitters move through the same points, and look the same as they do. Toe touch, heel plant, connection, bat lag, and contact. They look pretty much the same at all of those points, regardless of their style.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
MLB hitters try to hold their hands, and the barrel, back as long as possible. They get their lower half going and get the foot down while they hold the hands back.

If they read fastball, the hands/barrel go immediately. If they read a slower pitch, they delay the throw of the barrel.

They push off of the back leg/foot. It is anywhere from partially unweighted, to fully unweighted during the time from when the barrel starts to go at the ball, until contact.

See below. Note where the barrel is in relation to where his weight is, in the pauses I included;

canhrderby3.gif

So are you saying on an off speed pitch they get more separation before launching the barrel?

Do you ever discuss coming forward coiled? Or forward by coil as we were calling it for awhile?

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Timing is not a part of mechanics... Timing and the rhythm of the sequence within the load and swing IS mechanics. You can not have a consistently good swing without consistently good timing.

Good timing is this... Being in the "right place" at the "right time" with your load and swing (in relation to the pitcher and pitch).

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Redhot

During a hitting lesson I have them do 3-4 different throwing drils, before we hit.
Here is casey doing one of them. She is working the back leg, and the release of the back hip

Redhot I look for the back leg to flip up and around. Have to use the hips to achieve that.
The back leg actions...I look at this as the beginning of the move for hitting.

Casey and coil - YouTube

Straightleg

sb...no boat in this video:)

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Here's a summary post. I'd post it here, but this site has limitations on how many GIFs can be included in a single post.

Oops, there was an error! |

What a great post! Are there any GIF'n Gurus out there who could replicate this for softball swings (from the Model Swings thread)? :)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
So are you saying on an off speed pitch they get more separation before launching the barrel?

Do you ever discuss coming forward coiled? Or forward by coil as we were calling it for awhile?

RHC, isn't this the same concept some a few years called "forward by turning?"

Per your original OP, I think most of us have come to the conclusion that the check swing is the perfect example of adjustibility. There is so much a person can learn from the check swing. Per my child, it seems when she is really hitting well, sometimes when she checks, she fouls the ball off anyway and says that it is because she got the bat on plane fast but didn't get the pitch she was looking for. The ability to have a good running start also aids in adjustibility. So many members, in the past, have commented on dead hands. Dead hands equals not adjustibility. While I have never been one to teach much about the hands that point is evident. Don't know if I addressed your OP but gave it a shot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors