Adjustability

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Power, bat control, bat speed, and adjustablity.

The fastpitch hitter (and baseball) doesn't have the slow pitch hitter's option of an all back, all forward, launch off the rear leg swing. We/they must have good timing, and must be adjustable. I have heard several net experts each say several different aspects of swing mechanics (forward movement, coiling, and so on) "are the timing....are the adjustability" of the swing.
Pull up your big boy pants and share your thoughts and theories on timing and adjustability as they relate to mechanics....one leg? two leg? front leg? rear? throw hands, turn barrel? coil? Anything and how it relates to timing/adjustability.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
1zjgxe.gif

softballphreak,
This is the good "hitting' advice your missing out on. BaseballDebate is a real good site. Same as DFP free to register and thats it read away.
Taste of the 'pattern and sequence'
Utley_front_HR2_combo.gif

Last edited:
May 16, 2010

The fastpitch hitter (and baseball) doesn't have the slow pitch hitter's option of an all back, all forward, launch off the rear leg swing. We/they must have good timing, and must be adjustable. I have heard several net experts each say several different aspects of swing mechanics (forward movement, coiling, and so on) "are the timing....are the adjustability" of the swing.
Pull up your big boy pants and share your thoughts and theories on timing and adjustability as they relate to mechanics....one leg? two leg? front leg? rear? throw hands, turn barrel? coil? Anything and how it relates to timing/adjustability.

MLB hitters try to hold their hands, and the barrel, back as long as possible. They get their lower half going and get the foot down while they hold the hands back.

If they read fastball, the hands/barrel go immediately. If they read a slower pitch, they delay the throw of the barrel.

They push off of the back leg/foot. It is anywhere from partially unweighted, to fully unweighted during the time from when the barrel starts to go at the ball, until contact.

See below. Note where the barrel is in relation to where his weight is, in the pauses I included;

canhrderby3.gif

May 16, 2010

Here's another. Note where the hands and barrel are in relation to his back foot.

In the second pause, he is off the foot (meaning all the weight has shifted to his front foot), and the the hands and barrel are still back.

JUpton3.gif

Between the first and second pause, your infamous "blur" occurs, and he has already lifted the back heel and the weight has shifted.

He's on the front foot from blur to contact. His hips are already fully open when the blur occurs.

Last edited: