Same Ole Story..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
After weeks and weeks of trying to break bad habits... still ocurring

• Swaying back, not coiling into or around back leg, hip etc
  • Poor barrel path
  • flexion in back foot way before contact.. back foot actually comes off the floor and comes back down before contact
  • front shoulder juts up, COM rising up through out the the swing
  • body continues forward after heel plant
  • poor extension, bat slices across the ball instead of getting behind and through it
Playing college ball is not a goal for my kid, not because she does not have the raw talent, it's just something she doesn't want to do. She still works her butt off and puts in the extra hours. She loves the game and plays on one of the best u14 teams in the province, if not the country. I am getting to the point where I am thinking about just working with what we have. I really don't know how to get some of these basic hitting concepts drilled home.

Everybody on here has been fantastic... lots of good advice and tips to help my DD. There are no good instructors around here, they all still teach knob to the ball, push swing etc.. what can I say, end of my rope.

Sep 29, 2014
Maybe you could show us another clip because I'm not sure I'm seeing all that here, I'm also not 100% sure you that some of these things you are describing are wrong or bad.

Swaynig back...does she probably sway a little too much maybe but is she coiling, looks like a little maybe not perfect but I wouldn't describe this as no coil.
This is probably my weakest area but I'm not seeing a big looping swing or chopping down motion others might help more
A lot of elite hitters back foot are not on the ground at contact or if they are they are bearing zero weight if it comes back down again before contact that is a timing issue probably about when she is contacting the ball, your back foot will come down again and bear weight again but that is to stop you from falling over
I don't she her body going forward after heel plant here

Just want to make sure of exactly what you are talking about so you can focus on the right things.

Bigger question if she is still in season how is she producing?

May 12, 2016
Maybe you could show us another clip because I'm not sure I'm seeing all that here, I'm also not 100% sure you that some of these things you are describing are wrong or bad.

Swaynig back...does she probably sway a little too much maybe but is she coiling, looks like a little maybe not perfect but I wouldn't describe this as no coil.
This is probably my weakest area but I'm not seeing a big looping swing or chopping down motion others might help more
A lot of elite hitters back foot are not on the ground at contact or if they are they are bearing zero weight if it comes back down again before contact that is a timing issue probably about when she is contacting the ball, your back foot will come down again and bear weight again but that is to stop you from falling over
I don't she her body going forward after heel plant here

Just want to make sure of exactly what you are talking about so you can focus on the right things.

Bigger question if she is still in season how is she producing?
This is the biggest issue IMO, and one we have been working on for a while
  • front shoulder juts up, COM rising up through out the the swing
  • IDK, I see forward movement after heel plant, and head coming up instead of staying in her legs. IMO this robs power. I want to see energy directed into the ball -------->.
She's currently not barreling the ball up, but I think that's because of a timing issue. She has been working hard on the changeup, and I believe her swing has become more reactive... she needs to become the predator again. Her swing was doing fine during the first part of the season, good average, hard line drives.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
One thing the sway back is doing is that her head and belly button alignment are off at launch, similar (but not nearly as bad) to what Marcela has going on. To be honest I am not sure if fixing this will help with the other stuff. If you get her into a good launch position and have her swing from there SnF style what does her swing look like?

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I don't have time to type everything out. But the load and squat is hurting her...she is definitely has the quad dominate triad going on. I sent you my phone number..offer still stands...give me a call and we can go over alot more.

Dec 11, 2010
I don't like the arm/hands setup.

Concur.

I say get that barrel against the top of her pony tail and swing from there.

I personally don’t like how her knees start so far inside her feet. Looks very mechanical and restricted to me. Looks over coached to be frank. (ETA: Was typing the same time as bobbyb. Think we are seeing the same thing. Call that dude.)

I have not been following your dd’s progress or what advice you have been given. I’m going to say this: I like a whole lot about her swing. I can tell you have been working hard with her and just from the video it looks like she is trying to do it. I fear you have arrived solidly at paralysis by analysis. I say quit it. Relax about the mechanics for awhile, especially the minuscule details. Instead: Focus on hitting good pitches hard. Get her out on a field and front toss to her and have some fun. Hit with intent. Emphasis on attacking good pitches. There are a whole lot of very good hitters that don’t pass the technical forum swing analysis eye test.

Don’t make this harder than it has to be. It’s hitting a rock with a stick.

Aug 20, 2017
There is minimal scap load and once it’s loaded it immediately released. Scap load needs maintained as long as possible. Have her take her stance without holding a bat but hands where she would have the bat. Pull the top elbow back until the scap pinches (like you are gonna punch somebody with top hand). Where her hands are it may take a long pull back to feel the scap pinch. She can do this dry. Pull back (scap pinch) from her stance, stride and hold scap pinch, start to rotate lower body while continuing to maintain scap pinch. Once she gets the feel for scap pinch, get her to stride and scap pinch at same time.

May 12, 2016
Here's another vid tonight obviously with some focus on not loading on top of her back knee too much and loading more into.

Don't like how the hands are dropping in this video and elbows wrapping around trunk. Tee is set up a little too far out front as well

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478