A Level Travel Teams- Parent Coaches/No parent coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Yeah than shame on him. Always room for improvement. If your not improving your not working hard enough!!!
To most people, there is more to life than constantly striving to build the ultimate 14u softball team. You build a good team with a good culture and then you ride with them. To take a new kid who is maybe only marginally better then what you already have is a risk that most coaches wouldn't want to take with only 2 months left in the season.

Apr 28, 2019
Maybe he simply needed a 3rd baseman? You seem to read a lot into what is probably a very rational decision by the coach. He NEEDS a 3rd baseman. You DD throws "lasers" from SS, so she would probably do well at 3rd. Maybe you DD would be a better 2nd than his DD, but then your DDs "Powerhouse" arm is kind of wasted, no?

Your DD didn't want to play 3rd, and passed, and later found a "better" situation. Cool.

Don't create drama when there really isn't any.
Stick to topic. Not creating any drama. Asking opinions of experienced parents that may have similar experiences.

Apr 28, 2019
I would just say don't get too caught up with having the player and former player as coaches. They may have been all-americans but it doesn't mean they know how to coach or handle parents. I have watched disasters unfold in that scenario.

I was a parent coach helping our the HC for a long time until he decided to give up the team this year. We moved out of the dugout and let our organizations head take over. We got a non-parent coach with a ton of expereince handling players, parents, and college coaches. It will be great for our DD's to play for someone else for their last 3 or 4 years of TB.

As far as daddy ball goes your original tryout could have been a glimpse of that or like others said a chance for the team to field a need. This HS season when we hit the playoff our senior SS moved to 3B because of her ability to cover bunts. She was our best SS but she was also our best 3B by a huge gap. It helped more having her at third than not having her at SS. They may have actually been paying your DD a huge compliment.
The team was looking for an experienced utility player. He said they are always looking for good pitching.
In my eyes MI are better athletes and have more of an impact on the game. Not to minimize any other positions. It’s just where she’s always played and excelled.
The coach did tell me to stay in touch and definitely attend tryouts in the Fall.
If I was told from the start he needed a 3rd baseman I wouldn’t have bothered with tryout.
Not bitter or even upset just amazed he didn’t take the time to see her in the dirt. Hey, everything happens for a reason and hopefully this other team will pan out.
One plus already is that they told me they would be happy to let my B player practice with them.

Apr 20, 2015
If he had said that though and you joined up and she landed at 3rd wouldn't you have been more unhappy because clearly she's a MI. I think he did you a favor letting you know where he thought she fit in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2019
If he had said that though and you joined up and she landed at 3rd wouldn't you have been more unhappy because clearly she's a MI. I think he did you a favor letting you know where he thought she fit in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I don’t know about a favor. They were looking for an experienced utility player and he said they would always consider a top notch pitcher.
My daughter is not at the ace level in the circle yet. Not enough experience. He liked her speed, mechanics, movement but she needs more consistency hitting her spots.
If I’m looking for a utility player I want to see her in every spot possible to see if she fits the bill and can be an asset to the team.
Like he said basically two months left to their season so not a big deal.
Found another team in our home state more reasonably priced. They get good marks from a scout I’m working with. I’m sure it will all work out in the end. I appreciate your feedback.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My daughter is a powerhouse. Can throw long distance and lazers when at SS. Also P & plays 2nd.

Your DD isn't going to play SS or 2nd and pitch on a really good TB team. In order to play SS, 2B, 3B and OF well, a player has to spend as much time working on those position as she does pitching. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

If your DD is good at pitching, sooner or later, she'll either have to play 1B or RF.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019
Your DD isn't going to play SS or 2nd and pitch on a really good TB team. In order to play SS, 2B, 3B and OF well, a player has to spend as much time working on those position as she does pitching. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

If your DD is good at pitching, sooner or later, she'll either have to play 1B or RF.
Not busting any bubble. Very possible. Pitchers are more coveted than any other position and they get coddled.
My daughter plays 2nd, mostly and pitches done on 18U team. Mostly SS and P on 14U. But hey you never know there are exceptions to every rule.
As long as she is having fun and enjoys the game it doesn’t really matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles