A Level Travel Teams- Parent Coaches/No parent coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I was referring to you. I feel 18 every day!!! Sun is always out just have to push away the clouds!!!
No I meant you were calling me old, and I agree. I am 44 but most days feel 94. I have a 1 year old son and will be throwing BP to him from a walker :p

Anyway I am just giving you a tough time. I think people posting nice things about their DD's just makes me jealous that they are able to see such things in their kids..my apologies.

Apr 28, 2019
No I meant you were calling me old, and I agree. I am 44 but most days feel 94. I have a 1 year old son and will be throwing BP to him from a walker :p

Anyway I am just giving you a tough time. I think people posting nice things about their DD's just makes me jealous that they are able to see such things in their kids..my apologies.
Wow!!! Good luck with that. I’m 49 and have twin 13yr olds. I have an over achiever in sports & school and a slacker who finally understands what dedication and effort will get you. Now an honor student and up from C to solid B level player. I have seen talent from different perspectives from my daughters eyes. I know through good instruction, patience, and lotta reps anyone with a desire to improve will get better.
I don’t mind getting busted on when people know the whole situation. It’s people that think/assume they have all the info but don’t that like to throw stones.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
The team we’re going with has two young female coaches. One still plays college ball the other not to far removed from playing days. No relatives on team. One coach actually has a younger sister that could play on this team but coach said no. Hoping for the best.

I would just say don't get too caught up with having the player and former player as coaches. They may have been all-americans but it doesn't mean they know how to coach or handle parents. I have watched disasters unfold in that scenario.

I was a parent coach helping our the HC for a long time until he decided to give up the team this year. We moved out of the dugout and let our organizations head take over. We got a non-parent coach with a ton of expereince handling players, parents, and college coaches. It will be great for our DD's to play for someone else for their last 3 or 4 years of TB.

As far as daddy ball goes your original tryout could have been a glimpse of that or like others said a chance for the team to field a need. This HS season when we hit the playoff our senior SS moved to 3B because of her ability to cover bunts. She was our best SS but she was also our best 3B by a huge gap. It helped more having her at third than not having her at SS. They may have actually been paying your DD a huge compliment.

Apr 28, 2019
I would just say don't get too caught up with having the player and former player as coaches. They may have been all-americans but it doesn't mean they know how to coach or handle parents. I have watched disasters unfold in that scenario.

I was a parent coach helping our the HC for a long time until he decided to give up the team this year. We moved out of the dugout and let our organizations head take over. We got a non-parent coach with a ton of expereince handling players, parents, and college coaches. It will be great for our DD's to play for someone else for their last 3 or 4 years of TB.

As far as daddy ball goes your original tryout could have been a glimpse of that or like others said a chance for the team to field a need. This HS season when we hit the playoff our senior SS moved to 3B because of her ability to cover bunts. She was our best SS but she was also our best 3B by a huge gap. It helped more having her at third than not having her at SS. They may have actually been paying your DD a huge compliment.
Listen my point is open competition. You have to at least look at new players where they feel their best positions are. It may be that they are not better than who you already have in those positions. They may be an upgrade somewhere else on the field. If you had a look you would know for sure and could honestly relay your thoughts/observations to player/parent. I really think that’s the fair and correct way to go about transitioning in new players. Have a look and evaluate talent that’s what your there for. I think offering to come for another practice under better conditions was exactly what was needed.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Listen my point is open competition. You have to at least look at new players where they feel their best positions are. It may be that they are not better than who you already have in those positions. They may be an upgrade somewhere else on the field. If you had a look you would know for sure and could honestly relay your thoughts/observations to player/parent. I really think that’s the fair and correct way to go about transitioning in new players. Have a look and evaluate talent that’s what your there for. I think offering to come for another practice under better conditions was exactly what was needed.
I can agree with that and also think the guy could have simply said she would be a good fit for us. Once we get to practice we can see where she lands.

Jul 2, 2013
In our area, the best 14U teams have parent coaches. I would go as far as to say that 9 of the top ten are coached by parents.

While it's quite possible that the coach in question is trying to protect their DD, it's also possible that they have a hole at 3B or another position that no one on their team can fill so that's what they were looking for going into tryouts. It's always a compliment when a coach feels like your DD can play pretty much anywhere on the field.

Apr 28, 2019
I can agree with that and also think the guy could have simply said she would be a good fit for us. Once we get to practice we can see where she lands.
Like I said he offered her a spot but said he sees her as a corner infielder, pitcher, & OF. Based on what? A few outfield drills and the fact she has a cannon for an arm? How about lateral movement, speed to the ball, accuracy of throws, ability to handle the ball for DP’s at 2nd & SS.
From what I saw he was a decent coach. Just lost respect when he wasn’t willing to give her a go at MI. I honestly feel he was a little put-off that my girl plays other sports. I think he was in essence questioning her level of commitment.
My daughter is a natural athlete. She plays basketball & volleyball as well.
We don’t fo hitting/pitching lessons at this point. It’s just me and team coaches.
So she is fundamentally sound and has power in all facets of her game. Good at everything with possibility to be great MI/P. Perhaps a little raw to a degree which provides a huge upside with room to further develop.

Apr 28, 2019
I think too you have to consider your situation. You are trying to join an established nationally ranked team. They are happy with the kids they have in certain positions. It's the devil you know. You are an unknown entity. Your child would have to be not equal too but exceptionally better than what they have. Clearly they were looking fill a specific need. Teams are about more than just the best players. It's about chemistry and if they already have that and aren't looking to change you are out of luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
They said they were looking for an experienced utility player but always consider good pitching.

Mar 28, 2014
That's your opinion but other coaches have the opinion that unless someone REALLY REALLY surpasses your current player's talent level, you are better off leaving things as is. You said this is a nationally ranked team. Obviously things are going well for them. Why make a big change at SS if you aren't really improving yourself very much? Bottom line it is his team and he can do whatever he sees fit to do with it, regardless of whether you think he is right or wrong.

Apr 28, 2019
That's your opinion but other coaches have the opinion that unless someone REALLY REALLY surpasses your current player's talent level, you are better off leaving things as is. You said this is a nationally ranked team. Obviously things are going well for them. Why make a big change at SS if you aren't really improving yourself very much? Bottom line it is his team and he can do whatever he sees fit to do with it, regardless of whether you think he is right or wrong.
Yeah than shame on him. Always room for improvement. If your not improving your not working hard enough!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles