A Level Travel Teams- Parent Coaches/No parent coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
So I always find this an interesting discussion. I have been coaching baseball/softball long before my kids were born. Majors baseball. My son is a rec baseball player, daughter is a B level 10u player. I know their strengths and weaknesses better than anyone. Could I be coaching higher level....yes. Would I rather coach my daughter ...yes. Do I hide her weaknesses ...yes. Do I do that with every player...yes.
If you want to coach your kid, just make sure they are playing at the right level and let them shine. If you want to coach a high level ... just be the coach on the field and parent off.

May 16, 2016
How can you honestly tell me you have better options at positions when you haven’t seen her in those positions? Daddy ball?

Maybe he simply needed a 3rd baseman? You seem to read a lot into what is probably a very rational decision by the coach. He NEEDS a 3rd baseman. You DD throws "lasers" from SS, so she would probably do well at 3rd. Maybe you DD would be a better 2nd than his DD, but then your DDs "Powerhouse" arm is kind of wasted, no?

Your DD didn't want to play 3rd, and passed, and later found a "better" situation. Cool.

Don't create drama when there really isn't any.

Mar 28, 2014
It's all about the coach. No blanket answer here. Like others have stated, there are good and bad coaches among dad's and hired guns. The problem is, you don't really know if you have a good one or a bad one until you are on the team with some time under your belt unless you know people who have experience with the coach.

As a general rule, everything being close to equal, I would tend to err on the side of selecting the team with the hired coaches. I have found that Daddy's kid generally has an attitude because she is quick to catch on to the fact that her spot is secure regardless of her actions. Having a brat that thinks she is above the rules on the team is not conducive to a good team culture.

Sep 29, 2014
Seen it both ways unfortunately I was probably on the flip side being too hard on my kids...first to sit etc if I had to make a choice.

In your specific situation sounds like the coach was position hunting and maybe hitter hunting he is recruiting for certain spot. IF your DD if really serious about pitching that would have been my #1 concern how much circle time is she getting?

Apr 28, 2019
It's all about the coach. No blanket answer here. Like others have stated, there are good and bad coaches among dad's and hired guns. The problem is, you don't really know if you have a good one or a bad one until you are on the team with some time under your belt unless you know people who have experience with the coach.

As a general rule, everything being close to equal, I would tend to err on the side of selecting the team with the hired coaches. I have found that Daddy's kid generally has an attitude because she is quick to catch on to the fact that her spot is secure regardless of her actions. Having a brat that thinks she is above the rules on the team is not conducive to a good team culture.
Agreed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles