a few questions on recruiting...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2010
Heard very experienced head of reputable TB organization recommend against sending video in the early years, 8 and 9 grades. Reasoning was it was used to eliminate candidates more than anything. His recommendation centered on getting seen first hand at tournaments and/or camps.

Thoughts, comments based on experiences?

Dec 7, 2011
With the ever-shrinking schools budget, I think that supplying coaches the link to good game film (but I agree - not edited highlights), is a very good idea. I was initially talked into the camp of "don't do this" BUT I am totally convinced otherwise at this point after evaluating what must have been the factors of DD's signing. I think it also has a way, albeit somewhat limited, of exposing the all to familiar "practice-star" or "non-teamer" that no coach is going to want.

So to recap I would have the standard Skills Video. I am not suggesting any change to that staple input. BUT I would also try to insert a link in her resume to a good game film too. It can't hurt. If coach does not want to see that type of display they can always just not open that link.

Oct 10, 2011
Another question:). A school asked us to send DDs travel schedule. She has zero interest in this particular school but we'll send it anyway. Should students tell schools they are not interested to save them time or just get the most interest possible. This is one of better D3 softball programs but she wants a bigger school.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Heard very experienced head of reputable TB organization recommend against sending video in the early years, 8 and 9 grades. Reasoning was it was used to eliminate candidates more than anything. His recommendation centered on getting seen first hand at tournaments and/or camps.

Thoughts, comments based on experiences?

My $0.02....I would not recommend doing one in 8th grade, and I would only do one in 9th grade if your DD is a top talent that is already attracting the attention of recruiters. If not, I would save your money and do a video when your DD is in 10th grade.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Another question:). A school asked us to send DDs travel schedule. She has zero interest in this particular school but we'll send it anyway. Should students tell schools they are not interested to save them time or just get the most interest possible. This is one of better D3 softball programs but she wants a bigger school.

My $0.02....I would send the TB schedule. You NEVER want to burn a bridge, and who knows, maybe the coach of that D3 team will be on the staff of your DD's favorite school next year!

Dec 3, 2008
^ Agreed. Coaches networks run deep and they definitely share information amongst each other regarding potential players... particularly if they aren't going to realistically compete against each other for a certain player (ie. Big DI vs. small DIII).

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
^^^ I agree as well. Our daughter is a sophomore and is definitely still very much an "un-carved block" regarding what she wants to study and who she wants to be. When one types in "astrophysics" "journalism" and "ecology" into the old college search engine, you pretty much get every college that there is (but few that actually have all three). I agree with everyone who has come before me, whose daughters are now happily entrenched in college, that this whole recruiting process is exhilarating, exciting, joyful and terrifying!

Jan 23, 2009
But it is not what you or I want it is what coaches want to see. Game film is a highlight real, you're obviously not going to show mistakes. The coaches want to see fundamentals and repeating those fundamentals. Do they do the same thing over and over? Do your skills fall in line with the way they coach or what they are looking for? If they like what they see they will come watch a game. They have no idea of who you are mowing down or beating a throw against. Game film can make avg player look like an all star with a little editing. While it may look impressive to us coaches see thru the BS. Additionally if you think a coach is going to sit thru more than a minute of game film you're wrong. To show an unedited sequence of pitches showing her setting up one batter is a WATE OF TIME! Additionally what you do on the field is only a portion of what they are looking for. How they interact with players, how they handle adversity, are they looking in the stands for parental guidance, can they travel without mom and dad, not to mention the academic side. None of that can be seen on game film. My dd team put 7 girls in D1 programs for this coming year. I did all but 1 of those girls videos and had not one request from a coach for game film. Not saying to put a HR or 2 in there at the end is a bad thing but game film is not what they are looking for when evaluating film.

Distribute links to skills vids and in-game clips on-line and let the coach decide if they want to view the game clips.

Maybe this does not fly at the D1 level, however my DD is playing (21 pitching starts, 26 appearances, as a Freshman) for a D3 program that never saw her play in person during the recruiting process.

Did the game clips help? Maybe, maybe not, but they certainly did not hurt.

Nov 1, 2013
Ohio
Our motto was say no to know one. Always keep communication lines open. Girls change their minds about schools as the process goes on. Other recruits enter the picture and grades change.

Aug 14, 2011
Great advice here- especially to not ever burn bridges. The softball world is very very small. We went so far as to attend a camp at one school, to re an offer, knowing DD had made a decision for another school (but hadn't communicate it yet)-- out of courtesy to the coach and their working relationship with our TB coach.
As for video, for what it's worth, we did include tee work, but did not include wt/ht ever, even in emails. Only used school stats that were on Maxpreps already. And every email had the same consistant subject line: JANE DOE, 2015, FASTPITCH TEAM. When coaches are skimming through emails, the can recognize yours quickly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06