9u pitching help/suggestions needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2018
I have a girl on my team who is interested in pitching. She is seeing a good PC right now, the same one my daughter goes to and throws a little during practice. Her main struggle right now is that her arm is super super tight......elbow locked out, no snap anywhere. We have been working for weeks to get her to loosen up to absolutely no avail. Many times when she releases the ball goes 10 feet in the air and 4 feet in front of her with zero rotation....just a locked arm and wrist letting go of a ball.... I am hoping someone can help with any suggestions that may help her? It doesnt seem to be improving much. Thank you in advance!

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Is she bowling or throwing? I'd love to see a video. But it sounds like a shortened 'K' drill letting her learn her release with elbow brush can help her get the feel for her release. She should be standing open to the catcher. (Closed is hips square to the catcher which is not right, which is what it sounds like in her situation. A line through the hips should point to a lefty batter if the pitcher is righty) She is then going to throw across her body.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018
Is she bowling or throwing? I'd love to see a video. But it sounds like a shortened 'K' drill letting her learn her release with elbow brush can help her get the feel for her release. She should be standing open to the catcher. (Closed is hips square to the catcher which is not right, which is what it sounds like in her situation. A line through the hips should point to a lefty batter if the pitcher is righty) She is then going to throw across her body.

Hips are open.....arm is locked. Not long and loose.....elbow locked, wrist locked, dry spaghetti arm.

Apr 6, 2017
Not a pitching coach here. But I’d put her about 10 ft away from a chain
link fence and have her practice until she can control it some. She’s got
to spend some time by herself in my opinion.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The best way for her to learn about a loose arm: Rock skipping.

It will be the most fun you ever had working on pitching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole