9 YO Throwing 60

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Sure it’s possible. Most girls that hit 60 do so with a gun that reads 55, but really means 60 because the gun is always 5 mph low. In this case the gun probably read 48, but it’s a cheap knock off that always reads 12 mph slow so she really threw 60.
Our PC doesn't like the pocket radar because it reads slower than the Bushnell. I think I've annoyed parents with my random pitcher clocking at tournaments. It doesn't usually show them what they want to see.

Our #1 pitcher in the spring hit 48 on it. She's an 06. That's the fastest I've clocked on if, tied with one other, 05 pitcher. Of course I don't clock every pitch, it doesn't mean they're not breaking 50. I just haven't gotten it with the radar. But nobody has come close to 60. I imagine a 9 year old at that speed will plateau pretty soon if she hasn't already?

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I just watched a video of this kid. She is absolutely huge for a 9 yr old.... I watched her on the ubersense video app. With the balls trajectory moving up out of her hand, plateauing, then dropping. (approx. 32' from release to mitt) Based on my experience, it looks to me more like low 50's... Nuntheless, extremely impressive kid for sure. But I'd have to see it in person with a dozen radar guns (preferably not operated by grandpa radar) on her to believe its actually 60 mph. She has amazing mechanics. Very firm total body control, great IR, and can hit spots at 9.... Sting Ray did some math based on traveled distance calculated by frames per second etc. and came up with the numbers of approx. 57 mph. I'm not calling BS on him or his math, cuz I'm really bad at math, but I am however calling this kid is a read deal stud. Just not quite 60... not yet anyway

Below is a link to a time & distance = speed calculator
Baseball Pitching Speed Calculator

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I love how everyone's favorite radar gun is the one that reads fastest.

I have two...I use the faster one to clock fastballs and the slower one to read Change Ups. It shows me exactly what I want to see.

It's similar to the network we all chose to watch the debate...some of us chose to watch Fox and some CNN...I choose to watch TOSH.0.

Nov 22, 2012
from release until the ball crosses the back tip of the plate it took .36 seconds, I estimated the total distance to be 30 ft, pitching from 35 ft rubber w/ 5 foot stride. Go to this website and put those numbers in and you get 56.8 mph Baseball Pitching Speed Calculator and of course that is average speed of the entire pitch, I would think you would add 2-3 mph for what it is out of her hand. Pretty damn impressive..

Nov 18, 2013
Funny how radar guns always read too low with sports and too high with cars.

FWIW the guns I see college coaches using are PR's so from a recruiting standpoint that's whatever it reads is the only speed that matters.

Jun 12, 2015
I love how everyone's favorite radar gun is the one that reads fastest.

I have two...I use the faster one to clock fastballs and the slower one to read Change Ups. It shows me exactly what I want to see.

It's similar to the network we all chose to watch the debate...some of us chose to watch Fox and some CNN...I choose to watch TOSH.0.

I just watched the SNL version. I have no complaints.

Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Our PC doesn't like the pocket radar because it reads slower than the Bushnell. I think I've annoyed parents with my random pitcher clocking at tournaments. It doesn't usually show them what they want to see.

Our #1 pitcher in the spring hit 48 on it. She's an 06. That's the fastest I've clocked on if, tied with one other, 05 pitcher. Of course I don't clock every pitch, it doesn't mean they're not breaking 50. I just haven't gotten it with the radar. But nobody has come close to 60. I imagine a 9 year old at that speed will plateau pretty soon if she hasn't already?

I have a Pocket Radar but I haven't tested it vs. other more expensive guns. I do know that I was told a pitcher I clocked at 48 hadn't thrown under 50 in her lessons for months. So I guess, it reads slow. I know you posted a pic with your DD hitting 51(?) so if she isn't coming close to that on the pocket radar maybe it does read slow.

Jun 12, 2015
I have a Pocket Radar but I haven't tested it vs. other more expensive guns. I do know that I was told a pitcher I clocked at 48 hadn't thrown under 50 in her lessons for months. So I guess, it reads slow. I know you posted a pic with your DD hitting 51(?) so if she isn't coming close to that on the pocket radar maybe it does read slow.
Mine is the Ball Coach version. It was really pricey compared to the Bushnell. I figured if we were going to get one we should get the one most likely to be accurate. But it definitely does seem slower than the Bushnells.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
from release until the ball crosses the back tip of the plate it took .36 seconds, I estimated the total distance to be 30 ft, pitching from 35 ft rubber w/ 5 foot stride. Go to this website and put those numbers in and you get 56.8 mph Baseball Pitching Speed Calculator and of course that is average speed of the entire pitch, I would think you would add 2-3 mph for what it is out of her hand. Pretty damn impressive..

A study has shown that a baseball will lose about 1mph of velocity for every 7ft of distance traveled. When asked about a softball since it is bigger and will be more affected by friction the author replied with since the softball is heavier it also loses about 1mph for 7ft of travel. This may be where the add 5mph to a pitch comes from with the slow radars ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes