9 YO Throwing 60

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
On the basis that I've gone to tournaments with the best teams in our state, and a couple neighboring states, and at 12U there were 2 girls that were about 60. I've seen the best pitchers in our area at 14's and there were a small handful that hit 60. The arguably best pitcher in OR at 10u about 5 years ago was throwing MAYBE 52 on a good day and yes she looked like a flame thrower next to the other 10u's who were throwing 42-46.I know they grow them big in the south etc. but I still call BS.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Well Dr. Sherry Werner, PHD. Dr. Werner currently a biomechanics consultant with Sport Science Unlimited compared a 60 mph fast pitch softball to a 90mph baseball....so if I said I know a 9 yr old boy throwing 90 mph what would you say? I'll give you a few years for gender differences and let say I told you I knw a 12 yr old boy that throws 90mph what would you say?

Keep in mind that a 10U player is not throwing a 12" ball, which will change the comparison calculations. An 11" ball is lighter, has less wind resistance, and is being thrown from 35' (30'-ish release distance). I would certainly agree that this would be an exceptional case, but based on my own experiences in the real world, it's not out of the range of possibilities. Also keep in mind that this probably isn't an average-size 9yo. I expect that she's in the exceptional range for size, too.

Nov 22, 2012
On the basis that I've gone to tournaments with the best teams in our state, and a couple neighboring states, and at 12U there were 2 girls that were about 60. I've seen the best pitchers in our area at 14's and there were a small handful that hit 60. The arguably best pitcher in OR at 10u about 5 years ago was throwing MAYBE 52 on a good day and yes she looked like a flame thrower next to the other 10u's who were throwing 42-46.I know they grow them big in the south etc. but I still call BS.

I pmd you did you get it?

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Okay. So, because your talent pool doesn't include anyone that throws nearly that fast, you're calling it impossible? Things I have personally seen tell me differently. Believe what you wish.

Sep 29, 2014
I'm assuming the girl has matured faster than other girls her age and is probably closer to the size of most girl 16 yr olds and also has excellent mechanics.

Even given all that it would be interesting to put the radar on it as Eric mentioned an 11" ball might be helping a little as well as 30ft at release giving the illusion of speed...it would not impact exit speed from the hand but reaction time pushing her back 8ft would help hitters adjust...I would still guess solid 50s is probably her average speed.

Nov 18, 2013
Sure it’s possible. Most girls that hit 60 do so with a gun that reads 55, but really means 60 because the gun is always 5 mph low. In this case the gun probably read 48, but it’s a cheap knock off that always reads 12 mph slow so she really threw 60.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I just watched a video of this kid. She is absolutely huge for a 9 yr old.... I watched her on the ubersense video app. With the balls trajectory moving up out of her hand, plateauing, then dropping. (approx. 32' from release to mitt) Based on my experience, it looks to me more like low 50's... Nuntheless, extremely impressive kid for sure. But I'd have to see it in person with a dozen radar guns (preferably not operated by grandpa radar) on her to believe its actually 60 mph. She has amazing mechanics. Very firm total body control, great IR, and can hit spots at 9.... Sting Ray did some math based on traveled distance calculated by frames per second etc. and came up with the numbers of approx. 57 mph. I'm not calling BS on him or his math, cuz I'm really bad at math, but I am however calling this kid is a read deal stud. Just not quite 60... not yet anyway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00