9 Year Old DD - Throwing Motion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
Thanks for the comments. We're working with her sister on her motion right now, and having her as an example has paid big dividends already. Coaches down here have been teaching this "grip, hip, fangs" thing, and all you end up seeing is girls taking the ball back in this big circular motion so violently that by the time they start the motion forward, their elbows are so high in the air that it has no choice but to come back down. Sister is having issues getting rid of that motion. We spent an hour yesterday going through her motion in slow motion. Worked it up to a medium speed, and everything looked great. Put a ball in her hand....right back to the violent upswing of the arm. We're working on it though. Have some video of her, but I'm thinking we're going to do some before and after posts. Thanks again.

Josh

Thanks for the post Cobra. I showed DD. this is one thing we have been working on as well. How did the tournament go? DD's team (Lady Stros 02 gold) hosted a little invitational RR with TPS 02, Aces Express Black, and Firecrackers 02. Very competitive. We went 4-1-1. The loss and tie was due to errors. Hate that beginning season rust.

May 1, 2011
Tournament started GREAT...BUT...didn't end so well. We went out there pumped up. Beat Shockwave (ended up playing in the championship) and beat Impact Gold. They were Pool games, but due to that EARLY RUST you were speaking of, both of them threw their best at us. Then, it all went to crap. First bracket game was against a team that we just overwhelmed talent wise (I think they were a pretty new team). Then, we lost to LA Rippers. Bright spot there was we only lost 3-1. That team usually drills us badly. Our #1 has been working hard at throwing all of her pitches for strikes, and she threw 4 or 5 BACK BREAKING change ups in that game that were real head turners. That put us in the losers bracket. We beat some first year team that is just getting started. And then...we got beat by our own '03 TEAM. That one especially stung because we've had some inner-organizational drama going on. It was our 6th game of the day, they're best pitcher throws watermelons over the plate, and none of our girls could really even begin to wait on it. We had 2 hits (DD got both of them, one a double she DESTROYED into LC...big smiles from me of course), a couple of walks, and 3 errors. Mysteriously enough, the 3 girls that made those errors, quit the team the next day. That really puts us in a bind for a couple reasons. First, that gives us 8 players (obviously...a problem). Second, one of the girls was our shortstop/lead-off/speed demon on the bases. She covers some serious ground out there, and her confidence at short has grown leaps and bounds in the last few weeks. She's been struggling at the plate and hasn't gotten a hit in quite a while, but she's been drawing a walk here and there, which is pretty much a double. Last, one of the other girls was sent to us from Heaven it seemed like. DD was catching EVERY GAME about 6 months ago, and when HC's DD (my niece) was pitching (she's our #1), it crippled us at 1B. This girl shows up to try out for our team with catchers gear and a first basemen's mitt. Her ability behind the plate was shaky at best, but DD got a break here and there. Where she was really shining was at 1B. She had been working really hard at it, and was making some big strides. So now...we've got some holes to fill. Technically, we just need one girl. But, I hate JUST having 9. Nobody gets a break. And, that especially goes for DD, cause nobody on the current roster has ever had the gear on. We'll see. Ya'll going to be in Splendora Feb. 22nd?

Josh

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC