7th/8th Graders Playing JV

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
Just curious if anyone had any experience with seventh or eighth graders playing on the high school JV team.

Is that some thing which is decided state by state or more school by school?

Jun 8, 2016
School I believe. All time boy's basketball career points record in MA is held by a kid who played (and maybe started) for 5 years for a smaller school.

Aug 3, 2019
I’m in PA—In trying to read the state rules it sounds like you get six years of eligibility including middle school ball. Hoping JV opens up to 7th/8th. I’ll have to investigate.

Apr 9, 2020
Just curious if anyone had any experience with seventh or eighth graders playing on the high school JV team.

Is that some thing which is decided state by state or more school by school?
I think it is a school/district thing . Here a child in middle school can play up only to varsity level if the athlete passes a strength and agility test it is not subjective it is specific activities timed,reps etc! If the athlete does in fact pass and make the team they HAVE TO play a certain specific minimum percentage of pkaying time! Mean there truly needs to be a need for the player ! They don’t want the athlete making the team and sitting where they coukd like mentioned above be super productive on the age appropriate team where the reps and experience physically and mentally would be positive ! Sometimes playing at your age appropriate level is great ! Sone of the kids that play high level travel never get to play with her town friends or spend some extended times together bc sone of these higher level travel clubs consume so much of their time . Playing for school is more social experience atleast in our area then when we ompete in travel. The real high level travel yearly grind and travel causes the child to miss out on sone social aspects ( should be child’s choice but still difficult ) moreso this year due to pandemic to be out with school friends some what socially under the pretense of playing softball lol.. we have been following the rules socially outside school
Good luck on the season for your daughter and all children involved and remember this time is so valuable regardless of what team she plays on.. it can be taken away in blink of eye and it goes by even faster ! Be safe all

Aug 25, 2019
In our district every 7th grader must play on middle school team, regardless of talent. When DD was in 8th grade, she had a 7th grade great pitcher, that team went undefeated. The next year that pitcher moved up to varsity as the #2 pitcher, and is now the #1 pitcher as a sophomore.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
In MI the rules allow for 4 years of HS sports eligibility. So no MIddle School athletes play on HS. But a Junior High student who is in 9th grade can play for the High School.

Aug 20, 2017
Best players play Varsity no matter age
Next group of best players play JV (I try to have no juniors or seniors playing JV)
Middle school team is 7th and 8th grade only players that don’t play JV or Varsity

That’s how I try to approach it

Dec 11, 2010
In Illinois, high schoolers play high school sports. Weird, no?

Why in the world would any junior high kid play in the sh!$how of hs jv sports when they could be playing travel ball..... And why in the world would you want your 7th grader hanging out with kids in hs unless you are hoping to get an early start on vaping, drinking and.... you can fill in the rest.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
It's by state as I'm sure you surmised by now. MI and OH have a four year eligibility rule.
In other words, 8th graders can play HS ball but they have to give up playing a year of HS ball during their Freshman-Senior years in order to do it. I'm not sure about MI, but OH also has a 4 continuous year rule which means it'll be their Senior year they'd have to give up. If they don't a play a year, they are done playing HS ball altogether as they are no longer eligible. Thus, no 8th graders play HS ball in Ohio unless they are extremely bright and plan on graduating early.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13