7th/8th Graders Playing JV

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2014
Oklahoma it is up to the state association. We had to have a waiver for the 6th grade to play with 7th-8th grade(only one 8th grader this year). I would be surprised if they allowed 7-8 graders to play jv honestly. I believe the rules say 7-8 can play ninth grade but only 9th grade can play high school

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Florida (FHSAA) allows MS to play HS if the school is considered ONE School and basically has the same principal.

So some of the charter schools, morr rural schools and private schools have MS players on their JV or Varsity teams. In our smallest school division there are girls who have played and started for 6 years. Playing as a MS player doesn't count against the 4 years OF allowed HS play.

Jun 11, 2012
Florida (FHSAA) allows MS to play HS if the school is considered ONE School and basically has the same principal.

So some of the charter schools, morr rural schools and private schools have MS players on their JV or Varsity teams. In our smallest school division there are girls who have played and started for 6 years. Playing as a MS player doesn't count against the 4 years OF allowed HS play.
That how it is in MA. Our town has a middle/high school but there are 2 separate principals. The next town over has a middle/high school with only one principal. They can have middle schoolers (7/8) on the HS teams but our town cannot. Also you cannot cut a HS player to make room for a MS player

Jan 28, 2017

Once you hit 9th grade you only have 4 consecutive years. The MS years do not count. We have a kid trying to get a 5th year due to COVID. He still meets the age requirements but I don’t think he will get a 5th year from FHSAA.

I do know that a kid was ruled eligible because he was premature. What a joke.

Nov 25, 2015
The Frozen Tundra
Not sure if a district rule (5 HS,s) or a state rule, MN 7-8th graders can play no higher then freshmen team unless P or C. And only V if for emergencies in the P or C spot.

Example Had one year with only one healthy pitcher going into state tourney and brought along an 8th grader

May 20, 2015
School I believe. All time boy's basketball career points record in MA is held by a kid who played (and maybe started) for 5 years for a smaller school.

in MA it used to have to be that they shared a principal.....ie we used to see 7th & 8th graders that wrestled for the really small schools could have as many as 5/6 years at the varsity level.....schools like Quabbin, that were small, had the same principal for 7th-12th grades

Jun 8, 2016
in MA it used to have to be that they shared a principal.....ie we used to see 7th & 8th graders that wrestled for the really small schools could have as many as 5/6 years at the varsity level.....schools like Quabbin, that were small, had the same principal for 7th-12th grades
Right. I think that is how it was at Cohasset where that kid played.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
That how it is in MA. Our town has a middle/high school but there are 2 separate principals. The next town over has a middle/high school with only one principal. They can have middle schoolers (7/8) on the HS teams but our town cannot. Also you cannot cut a HS player to make room for a MS player
I found this about Mass:

High schools that include grades lower than ninth may use players on their teams without obtaining a waiver. High schools that start with ninth grade may only use middle-schoolers with a waiver from the MIAA.

But this was from a newspaper article, I don't have the drive to go through the MIAA rulebook.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't have the drive to go through the MIAA rulebook.

MIAA Rulebook:

53. Student Eligibility: Middle School Students on Senior High Teams
A middle school student is eligible to represent a senior high school on its athletic teams only
when the MIAA member high school includes those grades and they are under the direct
“jurisdiction” and “supervision” of the high school principal (see Rule 51 for definitions).

51. Student Eligibility: Baseline Eligibility Requirements
For a student to practice with, or to represent a MIAA member school in athletic competition,
the student must be duly enrolled in that school. Additionally, the student must be a candidate
for that school’s diploma, subject to the jurisdiction of that school’s principal (i.e. the principal
must have the authority to suspend the student from classes), and under the supervision of
that school principal (i.e. the principal must have control and knowledge of the student’s daily
attendance and achievement).
Ultimately the interpretation and application of Association rules rests with the MIAA executive
director/staff and the Board of Directors. Principals (or athletic directors) must contact the
Association executive staff to resolve any possible eligibility issues before permitting a student
to represent your school. This rule complements Rule 52, 53, 54 and 55.

51.1 An ineligible student who is duly enrolled in your school, may practice with team if
approved by your school administration

Apr 28, 2014
Our HS team is good. Odd that our MS teams are bad. When DD played MS all of the neighboring MS teams were horrible. Get to HS and these schools all have great teams. I guess many top players don't play MS softball. DDs coaches at MS were teachers who let her and other player run the practices. They just coached to help out I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45