7th/8th Graders Playing JV

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I’m really, really glad our middle school didn’t have softball.

Glad we didn’t have to make that decision.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now

That's also by state. Some don't allow it, some allow only 2 years of it and some states have no eligibility rules such as number of years. Others are specific as to 3 years MS ball and 4 years HS ball. Yet others allow some 7th/8th graders to play at the HS with no penalty in eligibility where others penalize them similar to Ohio and then there all of the variations in between.

You've been here longer than I have and know this is the case with all the discussions we've had through the years about it.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016

Marcela's MS has softball..they stink. You cannot play until you are in 7th grade so I have a few years to prepare myself..Her HS team typically stinks too...something to look forward to assuming she is still playing at that point :cautious:

The HS basketball team on the otherhand is ranked in the top 25 in the country, not that that means a whole bunch in particular since she won't be in HS till 2024.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
I want all my middle schoolers playing school ball due to having them for practice year around. School ball lasts no more than 4 months.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
A little different perspective in my area, we have a number of schools where there are fewer than 100 kids in a grade. Some as low as 20-25. You bet there are 7th and 8th graders who crack into a varsity lineup, and even more on JV. Of course the level of play is much lower than the larger schools, but it's either that or don't play at all.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
In MI the rules allow for 4 years of HS sports eligibility. So no MIddle School athletes play on HS. But a Junior High student who is in 9th grade can play for the High School.

True but small schools can't waivers for extended eligibility. Michigan's all time leading scorer in girl's basketball played varsity as a middle schooler. She had an asterisk next to the record to denote that she played more than 4 seasons. Her name was Haas (if I recall correctly). She played for Harbor Light Christian Academy. That record was later broken by Jazmine Hines.

Apr 28, 2014
I’m in PA—In trying to read the state rules it sounds like you get six years of eligibility including middle school ball. Hoping JV opens up to 7th/8th. I’ll have to investigate.
It's not that I am aware of in PA.
HS ball only 9-12th

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802