4x6 drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2009
has anyone seen the youtube of candrea's 4x6 drill? should that solve the lunging issue? what do you think?
thanks

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
It would certainly go a LONG way toward solving the "Squish the Bug" issue.

thanks for bringing this to my attention!!!

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I'm a fan of most things Candrea does. I have not watched this drill, but if it is standing on a 2X6, then I'm not for it as posted by ifubuildt on a prior post. He lists a whole lot of reasons not to do this drill, which someone called the 2X4 drill on an earlier post.

Mar 20, 2009
R

RayR

Bustos looked like she was close to lunging doing this drill - not sure how it would help cure a lunge as it promotes a more aggressive move forward.

Also, it pretty much discourages proper hip rotation.

I'd pass...

May 12, 2008
Something like that can help you learn to control and direct momentum but not used like that and not in that direction. He's the fp king and she's a great hitter but those two swings were ugly. Someone post a Bustos game clip quick. :)

R

RayR

Done correctly it can teach a hitter to maintain the load in the rear hip to toe touch. Candrea and Bustos were pushing off the rear leg in this clip negating what should be the emphasis of this drill.

This is not a new drill.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
You stand on it and it flexes the back knee because it is up off the ground and when you step it should shift your weight forward....the problem with this drill is it promotes the front leg being to stiff and you come over your front leg verses up against it which is why we do not use it. This is why I like the bend, bend, bend drill and the face the fire drill as is it feels real verses fake in my opinion.

Look at Candrea verses CB when it is demonstrated on U Tube.

May 12, 2008
It certainly can do exactly as you say. Any drill can be perverted. Those two drill swings being exhibit A. Makes you wonder about their underlying model of the swing in their mind when you see something like this. I wouldn't want to assume anything till the two in question had a chance to respond but it does make you wonder. IMO, they completely misunderstand the potential utility of this drill in terms of promoting better rotation and momentum control. I'd guess this goes back to Slaught's, imo, two dimensional visualization of the swing. He understands movements toward and away from the pitcher from what I have seen listening to him debate. Vertical movement, rotation, cause and effect, momentum, not so much imo. Having said that, I'd recommend his software. I think he's had a huge positive effect on what Candrea and Enquist say about the swing and thus he's had a positive effect on fp.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06