#3 Catcher Playtime

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
Just wondering how much time #3 catchers get in tournaments. Parents or coaches thoughts. My dd isn't getting anywhere near the playtime I would like to see.

Feb 24, 2010
On my team, #3 catcher will get to start at least 1 pool game if we need to play 3 games, as long as she earns it at practice. During the elimination round, the player that best helps the team win will get playing time no matter her place on the depth chart.

If you want to see her get more playing time, have her practice more on her own to get better, or think of putting her on a lower level team where she would get more playing time. Just because you think she should be playing does not mean that she should, as it's the coach's decision.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Depends on a lot. How old the team is, what level the team is, etc.

Most likey they might get an inning or two in a blow-out. More in double-header (friendly). Pitcher/Catcher combination's can be a tricky spot! ;-)

Creating a line up is not always about putting the "best" player at a spot. Coaches have to take into consideration what type of offense (short game, etc.) who has the hot bat, who the opponent is, or who will do the less damage at a certain spot.

Jun 21, 2010
12U team. #2 and #3 are not that much different in experience or ability. I would argue #3 has better arm and faster pop time. Plenty of pass balls to go around. But as someone above said, it's a coach's call and I respect that.

That said, we do work out together often. Just bought the Weaver DVD and she was interested in trying some of his methods. Blocking seems to be problem for all three catchers.

May 25, 2010
12U team.

Just my take, but at that age, she needs to be on a team where she's actually playing. If that means finding a slightly weaker team overall, so be it. She's not going to get better at the game unless she's in the game and she's not going to enjoy the game if her primary position is 'spectator'.

For a 12u player, my opinion would be the same regardless of what her softball goals are.

Jun 21, 2010
Just my take, but at that age, she needs to be on a team where she's actually playing. If that means finding a slightly weaker team overall, so be it. She's not going to get better at the game unless she's in the game and she's not going to enjoy the game if her primary position is 'spectator'.

For a 12u player, my opinion would be the same regardless of what her softball goals are.

She doesn't like the spectator position. She likes the team, and the parents are great, but after a talk recently, she is willing to look for another team.

I was just curious how some of you coaches play your #3. I appreciate the feedback.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
My DD was the #2 catcher on her competitive team. The coach's daughter also caught. Needless to say, my DD only saw a couple of innings a week. Then she faced the same catcher for starting catcher on the H/S team. After losing out to her in her freshman year, she got Coach Weaver's video and worked all winter on her skills. Blocking took several months to become proficient. My DD did win over the varsity starting catcher position and is now catching in college. Be careful with Coach Weaver's video though, My DD and I ended up providing lessons to local catchers!

The best way to get your DD more time behind the plate is to improve her skills. You have the right video to do just that. Best of luck!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Chaz is right on target from my perspective as a catcher's dad and former college BB catcher. At least initially, a catcher really should be spending as much time working on her skills outside of team practice as a pitcher does. How much better would a beginning or intermediate pitcher get just by pitching in games? Same holds true for catcher. Both these positions require highly specialized skills and until these skills are mastered, game time won't do much to help her improve. If she seriously wants to improve, she can work w/ a competent catching instructor or on her own with the aid of Coach Weaver's DVD. If she put's in the time w/ that video, I guarantee you she won't be the #3 catcher come spring time.

Good luck - GM

nother Catcher's Dad

Apr 1, 2010
Our #2 catcher is only getting about 1-2 innings behind the plate per tournament. Number 2 is improving a lot, but passed balls are still a problem. Number 3 hasn't had any time there at all. I'm not screaming about their lack of playing time, because my dd is the #1 catcher. ;-) Basically, dd plays until she's tired and wants to come out.

I agree with SoftSocDad about possibly looking for a weaker team for your daughter. Mine is getting tons of playing time because she's on her organization's second 10U team. They've been beat up on pretty badly so far, but she's getting lots of work in practice and loads of game experience--she's probably having to deal with a far wider variety of situations than she would if her team was dominant and there weren't as many balls and runners in play. I've been watching the top teams--she's heading toward being in league with their catchers (she's turned into a good blocker but still needs to work on her throws and batting), but there's no way she'd be getting this much playing time on one of those teams. Her skills wouldn't merit it.

BTW, Hi, Chaz! I'd love to get her back with you for more lessons. Money's still a struggle right now though--maybe after fall ball ends?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32