#3 Catcher Playtime

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
For me, it all depends on the quality of catchers. I work with mine to develop them so they all have the skills to play. More often than not, I rotate them like I do the pitchers. That way no one is tired, or complaining about sore knees, or unable to go.

The differentiator for me will be the bat. If one catcher is hitting and another with comparable skills is not, I'll go with who is hitting. But even then not to the point of child abuse. Coaches should keep in mind that these kids are still growing, and the catcher's position can put an awful lot of strain on them over a weekend. I'd hate to think I did anything to hurt a young girl just to win a trophy.

None of this stuff is rocket science. Catchers can be taught just like anyone else, if they're willing.

She needs to get off the bench, though. If it isn't with this team, find one who can use her. A good catcher is always good to find.

Sep 3, 2009
The best thing I think would help, is to get your dd catching outside of team practice. Coach Weaver's DVD is tops for skills. In my experience though, team practices aren't going to provide enough to put it to use. Try and volunteer your dd to catch for your team's pitchers at their lessons. Their parents will LOVE it. I've had some that were really skeptical of the idea too... in that case, hook up with some pitching instructors and tell them what you're looking for. There are always pitcher's parents with sore shins out there... and there is nothing wrong with your dd catching for pitchers on other teams too. A solid hour of catching once or twice a week will work wonders. The relaxed setting, will let your dd try things that she may be afraid to try in team practice, or in a game situation.

Jun 4, 2010
A, A
My dd is currently #3 on her team(10U). #1 gets all the time as she is the only one with any experience coming in. #2 has just gotten a few innings this fall and my dd hasn't gotten any. She has really enjoyed the work in practice so we will work on things this winter to earn some time in the spring. First step is Coach Weavers camp in KC area. As long as she is enjoying things I am not worrying about playing time at this point.

Jun 21, 2010
Alot of good advice. We do workout together away from practice and games. Coach Weaver's DVD will enhance that and it'll be fun to see how she progresses.

There is a pitching coach who did at one time ask if she wanted to catch for some of his girls. We'll look into that again. There is another girl we know who is taking lessons with another coach and we are looking into that as well.

She's frustrated she isn't getting any playtime, or should I say, very limited amount of playtime. We will look for another team and work through the winter using Coach Weaver's DVD.

Oh, BTW--she can hit and "sees" the ball. I videotape all her at bats. We go over the video and she can tell me what was happening at each at bat--balls called strikes, coach telling at her that she's got her head out in center field ( video disproves that ). Swinging too early and knew it. Things like that.

I would love for her to take part in one of Coach Weaver's camps. I'll have to look into those and see if it's something we can do.

Sep 3, 2009
First step is Coach Weavers camp in KC area.

Will see you there if we're in the same session. DD went last year and LOVED it. Dave and Jay are tops, and work very well with the kids. They will have their attention from start to finish.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
We at Advanced Catching Concepts are looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones at this year's NECC Catching Clinic in KC. Lat year's turnout was excellent!

There is some excellent advice in this thread. The keys for her success is that she enjoys what she is doing, is willing to put time into improving and is willing to learn. That and given the opportunity to learn. There is no better resource available than Coach Dave Weaver's Instruction video.

Best regards, -Chaz

May 25, 2010
My dd is currently #3 on her team(10U). #1 gets all the time as she is the only one with any experience coming in. #2 has just gotten a few innings this fall and my dd hasn't gotten any. She has really enjoyed the work in practice so we will work on things this winter to earn some time in the spring. First step is Coach Weavers camp in KC area. As long as she is enjoying things I am not worrying about playing time at this point.

I know all our situations, priorities, and strategies are different and that what sucks for one kid - staying on the bench all season - might be the best motivational tool ever for another, but I would argue that 95 times out of 100, a kid needs actual game time in order to truly get better at a position.

What do you think is the coach's rationale for not giving her any innings so far this season?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I know all our situations, priorities, and strategies are different and that what sucks for one kid - staying on the bench all season - might be the best motivational tool ever for another, but I would argue that 95 times out of 100, a kid needs actual game time in order to truly get better at a position.

SSD - agree 100% about getting game time BUT only AFTER the necessary skills are learned. Until you have the basic skills mastered, you're likely only futher reinforcing bad habits, which become that much harder to break. It's like hitting and throwing, the earlier you learn to do it right, the further you can go.

IMHO, most catchers I have seen are what I call "girls who catch" rather than "catchers". While many of these girls are very talented athletes who do a good job at it, unfortunately their progress utlimately ends up being limited by a lack of proper skills training. While I agree with Ken's earlier post that it's not rocket science, there are few who can adequately teach solid catching skills. Until coming across Coach Weaver's DVD, I struggled with this myself despite being an ex-college catcher. Once you've seen girls (one as young as 14) with better defensive technique than some MLB catchers, it's hard not to become a believer. My DD isn't close to being there yet, but she knows what she has to do if she decides its what she wants.

IJS - GM

Apr 1, 2010
Hmm, I hadn't thought about it, but after reading Ken's post, should I be concerned that my daughter could be playing too much? I think the most she's played at catcher in one day so far is 2 games and part of a third. How much would be too much?

CPSBDad, if the coach is wrongly criticizing her batting stance, could that be part of the reason he's not playing her? Maybe he doesn't recognize that she's a good hitter and that's limiting her playing time.

Apr 1, 2010

Rydog, are our daughters on the same team? Sounds like they could be...have you worn a gorilla suit recently? I bought a copy of Coach Weaver's DVD awhile back (I've watched it several times and learned a lot. I try to teach mine from it, when she'll listen to me.). If it's you, I'd be happy to bring it to practice and lend it to you guys so you can watch it too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck