2nd year 12u pitching have a look

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
i tried watching videos from many and help her but i just dont have the eye for it i guess

LOL, me neither.

Once the obvious stuff, like the leaning, gets fixed...I'm clueless. (and I had to slow it down just to see THAT)

These people that can pick out subtle problems in pitchers/hitters amaze me

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
Alot of how we see things comes from Experience, either because we currently pitch, or have pitched, or we have worked with softball pitchers from a long time. My youngest dd is starting to pitch now and I wish I knew back then what I know now. My oldest dd would have had a much easier time at picking this stuff up. I guess "Life can only be understood backwords, but must be lived forwards"

I can see a pitcher, pick up her tells and tendincies and adjust my game plan and hitters accordingly. I believe that all pitching coaches who also double as a team coach can do this. TimothJ, it just takes time and plenty of access to sites like this one and seeing the actual pitchers and you too can pick out the subtle problems.

Oct 22, 2009
here is a video of my dd pitching from face on she is throwing a curve then some screwballs then from back view working on inside outside hi low fastballs . thanks

thanks for the advise i guess we got alot of work to do as far as a new pitching coach we love her coach she is great and no she does not teach her to lean etc she has been trying to fix her from bending to much and sticking her butt out and and her back swing . as her father im willing to do what ever it take's to make her the best she can be .
]

From a PC perspective this is what I see. I know 95% of my students/parents do this.
You say in this video your DD working on her breaking pitches and placing the fastball. You say the PC wants your DD to work on her mechanics. the only instruction I hear in the video is to push off harder and aim for the spot better.
Yes, I understand it's more fun to just go pitch than work on the proper form--it's my biggest battle with my students.
My suggestion is to spend 90% of your practice time, working on the form, the last part can be spent hitting spots, throwing for speed.
I would severely limit the breaking pitches right now, until the mechanics are better.
I don't agree that she will be behind if she doesn't throw these pitches. I think she will be behind if she doesn't correct some basic issues.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Is George Jones still coaching? I liked his Rhythm and Balance VHS tapes, when I coached at Springfield College (Il.)

I would work a lot on "walk throughs" and I would have her pitch facing a fence. She should stand about 12 inches or less from the fence and go full arm circle. (Don't close the hips, yet.)

Jul 28, 2008
Leaning is a common problem, but it needs to be addressed. I'm working on it with my own kid and it's slowly starting to fix. Here's a picture of her during our tourny last weekend. As I look at this photo, I also notice her hand is wrong for her type of release. Another issue I've been working on with her for some time. That, too is slowly fixing itself. I just giver her subtle reminders and let her PC know.

Timothy,

As for noticing these things, when I first started I was in the same book. Always saying, how in the heck can you see that. Now I can see it clearly and it's like fingernails on a chalkboard when you notice it. Hitting, pitching, throwing....you name it. And I'm not even close to noticing half of what I should be. That's the fun part, the learning for coaches and parents never stops.

img_2706a.jpg

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It does take time and I, too, wish that I had known all of this when my DD was pitching.

I was working with a 12U ASA girl last month and I asked her about icing her shoulder and her dad said that he had "never heard of it." He is her coach. I thought that that was kind of basic knowledge, but I guess not.

96 Coach, let me know the next time you are in Phoenix. I will shoot some video for you.

May 30, 2009
Is George Jones still coaching? I liked his Rhythm and Balance VHS tapes, when I coached at Springfield College (Il.)

I would work a lot on "walk throughs" and I would have her pitch facing a fence. She should stand about 12 inches or less from the fence and go full arm circle. (Don't close the hips, yet.)

amy thanks for the advise on the walk thru's and the fence we mainly work in are basement so i was thinking of using are pitching L screen as a wall also when you say 12" would that be from the outside of the rubber or from her shoulder or the power line . and yes good old george jones in still giving lessons out her and we did see him once (great guy ) but the main problem was her teaches the step and follow thru method and we like the leap and drag style better . again thanks for the advise

Jan 20, 2010
Tojo you start your girls off with a bulletspin fastball ? I think you said that in another tread. I totaly agree with you on girls throwing breaking pitches at that age. My dd was ave. 25.5 on a revfire for all pitches at 12. I dont care how fast you throw the ball its going to move with that spin. You should throw all pitches out of the same mech. so whats wrong with teaching differant spins. Your working the same mech. on everypitch.Kids that learn 4 seam fastballs and backflip changes for the first pitches often times struggle with learning movement later on. The rise , screw, and curve are nt thrown by fliping your wrist.
Watched some of the vid and do agree the pitcher needs to work on mech. , no mater what you throw you have to have good mech.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Stand facing the fence, like you are looking at the bleachers. Your chest is a foot or less from the fence. You are in a feet spread position. Pitch the ball.

She cannot lean doing this and if her arm isn't in line with the power line, the ball will hit the fence, when pitched.

Your job is to catch the ball.

Another one that I stole from Hal is, after she is warmed up really well, have her pitch whiffle balls. If her motion isn't perfect, the whiffle balls go all over the place.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes