2nd year 12u pitching have a look

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
First off, let me tell you my feeling on a 12u pitching "junk" pitches, they can't. The can do the mechanics correctly, but they cannot generate enough speed at that age for the ball to break. Please see the following: She's 11-years old - Great Rise Ball? Great softball pitching hints and recommendations for girl softball pitchers
As far as her form, the majority of the pitches from the front view seem to be illegal. She is stepping outside of the plane of the 24" pitching plate. I'll leave the rest of the evaluation for the everyone else. I am sure they'll rip her form apart, but I like the pitches she throws in the behind view.

Jan 27, 2010
Coach Al, your assumption or opinion that 12u can't throw "junk" pitchs is flat out wrong. To make a blanket statement like that is ridiculous. I agree she may be close to stepping outside the width of the rubber.She does have some mechanical problems but I like the frame, long fingers and her attitude. I believe with the right PC she could be a very good pitcher.

May 30, 2009
thanks for the insight on junk pitches im confused about stepping out of the plane she steps on the line and i thought that was legal ? now as far as the word can't that a word that we don't speak in this home we try to be positive. she just turned 13 and i if she was only throwing fastballs and change up's she would be behind from what her pc coach say's @ least. we don't work on rise ball much if @ all but curve and screw and drop we do and no it does not have a very large break but it does move and over time it should have better movement ? if i wait till she is throwing in the 60 mph range wont that be to late for her to have control and make use of the pitch . im looking forward to peoples opinions and evaluations BUT NOT SURE WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO RIP HER APART ? just looking for some solid advise and honest evaluations so she can improve .... thanks

Mar 13, 2010
Get a new pitching coach. I've seen enough 15, 16 year old's struggle with those pitches to know that a girl that young can't. ALL the experts say that young girls can't throw the pitches. In fact they recommend explicatly against teaching them.

Your daughter has the talent to be a very good pitcher. The fact that she can throw so hard with the mechanichs she has proves that.

Her knee bending is not good. She wants it to be only a slight bend or straight out.

She hops completly to the side when she moves. I'm not as sure on the rules as others would be but you can't just move your body in a hop. It also is holding her back.

She doesn't step straight up the power-line (towards the plate) When she does her stride she wants to be straight towards the plate. Not to the side.

She has no follow through with her foot.

She leans too far foward when ptiching.

Honestly the best advice I can give you is find a new pitching coach. The one she has is clearly terrible and you are wasting your money. Your daughter has some very big mechanichal problems that need to be fixed for her to improve. You mention her pitching 60mph. With that form she won't. She shouldn't even be taught how to do drops, screws and curves, when her form is all over the place. There are coaches out there that 'teach' these pitches so that you think you're getting bang for your buck. You're not.

I'm not trying to rip her apart here, I'm trying to give you some good advice. I'm not that good with how to correct her errors. There will be others who can do that. Good luck with everything!

Jan 27, 2010
Get a new pitching coach. I've seen enough 15, 16 year old's struggle with those pitches to know that a girl that young can't. ALL the experts say that young girls can't throw the pitches. In fact they recommend explicatly against teaching them.

Your daughter has the talent to be a very good pitcher. The fact that she can throw so hard with the mechanichs she has proves that.

Her knee bending is not good. She wants it to be only a slight bend or straight out.

She hops completly to the side when she moves. I'm not as sure on the rules as others would be but you can't just move your body in a hop. It also is holding her back.

She doesn't step straight up the power-line (towards the plate) When she does her stride she wants to be straight towards the plate. Not to the side.

She has no follow through with her foot.

She leans too far foward when ptiching.

Honestly the best advice I can give you is find a new pitching coach. The one she has is clearly terrible and you are wasting your money. Your daughter has some very big mechanichal problems that need to be fixed for her to improve. You mention her pitching 60mph. With that form she won't. She shouldn't even be taught how to do drops, screws and curves, when her form is all over the place. There are coaches out there that 'teach' these pitches so that you think you're getting bang for your buck. You're not.

I'm not trying to rip her apart here, I'm trying to give you some good advice. I'm not that good with how to correct her errors. There will be others who can do that. Good luck with everything!

You said the experts say" the girls can't throw the pitchs". Would you consider Ernie Parker or Don Sarno experts? I believe they suggest it is up to the individual if someone is ready for the breaking pitchs.That being said, I do agree with some of your analysis especially seeking a new PC.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I can only echo what was said above. I would abandon anything but a FB and change up and get her posture and foot work fixed.

Hopefully, a PC has not taught her this stuff.

I feel that she is heading toward back problems if she continues pitching this way.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
TOJO: The vast majority of breaking pitches thrown by 12U pitchers exist only in the fertile imaginations of their Daddies.

Amy, as usual, is right. This kid needs to go back to basics. She has got to get her basic motion down.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
here is a video of my dd pitching from face on she is throwing a curve then some screwballs then from back view working on inside outside hi low fastballs . thanks

YouTube - SANY0673.MP4

Hi Battsleft.

I am not going to 'tear her apart' as some have said but,,, if you will take note; The pivot foot and stride foot are bith coming forward as she gets slightly airborne. THEN the pivot foot touches down before the stride foot does. THAT IS A CROW HOP and a very blatant one at that. Get that fixed before you focus on anything else. At some point you will run into an umpire that knows what they are looking at and she will get IP'd every pitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12