2nd year 12u pitching have a look

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
You said the experts say" the girls can't throw the pitchs". Would you consider Ernie Parker or Don Sarno experts? I believe they suggest it is up to the individual if someone is ready for the breaking pitchs.

I've not heard of Don Sarno, but from memory Ernie Parker said that the 'breaking pitches' at that age are often just a high fastball or a straight plane. I also have Cheri Kampf's book, so I very easily could have mixed those two up.

Either way, I don't understand how the young girl in question could be throwing those pitches. I'm 26 years old. I've been pitching for eight years. I started to teach myself the change up and drop ball and its not an easy task. I've also tried the rise ball and I struggle with getting my hand around the ball properly. How a 11 year old would be able to I don't understand.

Honestly the more I watch the angrier I get on batsleft's behalf. If she's been pitching for two years, these very big problems should not be existing in her motion. ESPECIALLY when she's supposedly being taught the breaking pitches. The PC is a con artist.

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania
First off, let me tell you my feeling on a 12u pitching "junk" pitches, they can't. The can do the mechanics correctly, but they cannot generate enough speed at that age for the ball to break. Please see the following: She's 11-years old - Great Rise Ball? Great softball pitching hints and recommendations for girl softball pitchers
As far as her form, the majority of the pitches from the front view seem to be illegal. She is stepping outside of the plane of the 24" pitching plate. I'll leave the rest of the evaluation for the everyone else. I am sure they'll rip her form apart, but I like the pitches she throws in the behind view.

I'll echo Coach Al and Amy. From the umpire's point of view, she is certainly stepping outside the 24" pitching plate, on all of her screwballs. At 12U, a great change up is enough to throw the batters off balance. It's great that she is learning the mechanics for junk pitches; it will help her in the future. For now, work on the FP and change-up.

In the video, is the pitcher's plate moved up so that the thing hanging from the backstop is where home plate would be? In other words, is pitching plate to hanging tarp equal to the pitching distance from pitching plate to home plate? If not, wouldn't that mess a pitcher up? I can understand working on hitting spots, but if the distance is longer, isn't that a disadvantage? But I'm not a pitcher, so I have no idea.

Mar 13, 2010
If not, wouldn't that mess a pitcher up? I can understand working on hitting spots, but if the distance is longer, isn't that a disadvantage?

Personally no. I never pitch at 43 feet, I pitch at 46. If I can hit the spots at 46, I'll not only hit them at 43 with quite a bit more speed. My first year pitching over here was fantastic as I'd only ever pitched 43 feet and it was still 40 here! I pretty much blew everyone away. (then again I struggled at the start of this year speed wise when we went back so it all worked out)

Didn't Lisa Fernandez used to practice pitching from center field?

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania
Hi Battsleft.

I am not going to 'tear her apart' as some have said but,,, if you will take note; The pivot foot and stride foot are bith coming forward as she gets slightly airborne. THEN the pivot foot touches down before the stride foot does. THAT IS A CROW HOP and a very blatant one at that. Get that fixed before you focus on anything else. At some point you will run into an umpire that knows what they are looking at and she will get IP'd every pitch.

That, and like Coach Al said, she is stepping outside the 24" pitching plate on every screwball. I know the OP said she is stepping "on the line," but she is clearly not.

Jul 28, 2008
Pitcher.jpg

From this photo, you can see her bent at the waist. Her back should be straight. As Amy said, you're going to have problems. Also, screw ball and curve ball mechanics shouldn't be taught until your child's body is physically mature. They don't have the muscle and strength to do these correctly and could cause issues.

Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint to the finish line.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Just another view that I think clearly shows she's not on the line at all, and the bending.

I'm just a novice "rec" coach, but if she was one of my players, these are the things I would try to remedy first (as they should be relatively easy to fix)

battsleft.jpg

Jan 27, 2010
TOJO: The vast majority of breaking pitches thrown by 12U pitchers exist only in the fertile imaginations of their Daddies.

Amy, as usual, is right. This kid needs to go back to basics. She has got to get her basic motion down.

Thank you for your endorsement. I said she could not make such a blanket statement. Your response only validates what I said. You do say vast majority. I know many 12u that have very good breaking pitchs and many that don't.I also agree with Amy that she needs to work on the basics.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
Personally no. I never pitch at 43 feet, I pitch at 46. If I can hit the spots at 46, I'll not only hit them at 43 with quite a bit more speed. My first year pitching over here was fantastic as I'd only ever pitched 43 feet and it was still 40 here! I pretty much blew everyone away. (then again I struggled at the start of this year speed wise when we went back so it all worked out)

Didn't Lisa Fernandez used to practice pitching from center field?
What league pitchs at 46' other than Men's fastpitch and slowpitch? I'll have to assume that Lisa Fernandez pitched from centerfield to build strength and speed.(Long distance drills)

May 30, 2009
thanks for the advise i guess we got alot of work to do.but as far as a new pitching coach we love her coach she is great and no she does not teach her to lean etc she has been trying to fix her from bending to much and sticking her butt out and and her back swing . as her father im willing to do what ever it take's to make her the best she can be . we live in the st louis area and this is not a softball town !!! :( to much soccer ! there are 3-4 good pitching coaches @ best so we dont have much choice and the coach we have we feel is the best fit i tried watching videos from many and help her but i just dont have the eye for it i guess if anybody know's of where to find her some help please point us in that direction .... we were looking for video's or help not a new pitching coach ......

sorry randy

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
thanks for the advise i guess we got alot of work to do as far as a new pitching coach we love her coach she is great and no she does not teach her to lean etc she has been trying to fix her from bending to much and sticking her butt out and and her back swing . as her father im willing to do what ever it take's to make her the best she can be . we live in the st louis area and this is not a softball town !!! :( there are 3-4 good pitching coaches @ best so we dont have much choice i tried watching videos from many and help her but i just dont have the eye for it i guess if anybody know's of where to find her some help please point us in that direction ....

If your PC is trying to correct her mechanics and your DD has not grasped the concept yet that's different, but if she is instructing your DD on what the video shows I would definitely look for another PC. There is the National Fastpitch Registry that lists PCs in your area. Maybe one of the members will provide you with web address. Keep at it, she appears to have a lot of talent to be a pitcher with proper instruction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes