2nd year 12u pitching have a look

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I was working with a 12U ASA girl last month and I asked her about icing her shoulder and her dad said that he had "never heard of it." He is her coach. I thought that that was kind of basic knowledge, but I guess not.

I'm a pitcher and didn't know that. I've always just kept it warm and only really iced it when injured. (which is probably why I KEEP having shoulder issues)

battsleft good luck with your DD. If you're going to stay with the same PC I would just focus on her mechanics with the PC at this time. To fix her lean you could always stand behind her and hold her head. (my mother did this to me at 11!) A slow walkthrough does wonders.

Jan 27, 2010
Eddie Feigner,the King and his Court, has probably thrown as many pitchs as anyone said his philosophy was warm up, get the arm warm, keep it warm, and let it cool down naturally. If your shoulder or arm does bothers you after pitching you should ice it, then find out what you are doing wrong that causes the discomfort and correct it.

Jan 27, 2010
Tojo you start your girls off with a bulletspin fastball ? I think you said that in another tread. I totaly agree with you on girls throwing breaking pitches at that age. My dd was ave. 25.5 on a revfire for all pitches at 12. I dont care how fast you throw the ball its going to move with that spin. You should throw all pitches out of the same mech. so whats wrong with teaching differant spins. Your working the same mech. on everypitch.Kids that learn 4 seam fastballs and backflip changes for the first pitches often times struggle with learning movement later on. The rise , screw, and curve are nt thrown by fliping your wrist.
Watched some of the vid and do agree the pitcher needs to work on mech. , no mater what you throw you have to have good mech.
I don't start girls with the bulletspin but generally convert at some point.

Jan 27, 2010
At what point do you determine its time. Age,Body size, hand size, just wondering.

Thanks Ron
I have found some have natural tendencies to this style of fastball. Others I will start teaching the bulletspin at different times. I have no formula more of a gut feeling.BTW, some don't convert to bulletspin if they throw harder, are more comfortable and hit their spots.

Last edited:
May 30, 2009
thanks for the advise i guess we got alot of work to do.but as far as a new pitching coach we love her coach she is great and no she does not teach her to lean etc she has been trying to fix her from bending to much and sticking her butt out and and her back swing . as her father im willing to do what ever it take's to make her the best she can be . we live in the st louis area and this is not a softball town !!! :( to much soccer ! there are 3-4 good pitching coaches @ best so we dont have much choice and the coach we have we feel is the best fit i tried watching videos from many and help her but i just dont have the eye for it i guess if anybody know's of where to find her some help please point us in that direction .... we were looking for video's or help not a new pitching coach ...

but as far as a new pitching coach we love her coach she is great and no she does not teach her to lean etc she has been trying to fix her from bending to much and sticking her butt out and and her back swing

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12