2nd Push?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2013
Thanks Bill Hillhouse for the article post. After reading it, I ran across a video analysis on youtube of Folkard. During the analysis, Mike White mentioned a 2nd push....this leads to my question to the forum.

Can females legally perform a 2nd push? Does anyone have any thoughts/experience on this?

The video link is below.....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9nkibil0fCs

Oct 9, 2013
That is interesting. So, some instructors do teach it to women. I wonder what it adds to the pitch?

IR a Pitching Dad

Sitting on a Bucket
Dec 4, 2014
the second push off places the pitcher several feet closer to the batter at release adding to, IMO, an increase in speed outside of the rules.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
interesting. this video also talks about a 2nd push but i don't think it's really a push, at least not in womens FP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0SPGPS9bWQ

Haha.. that is my DD in this video (the little one in the green shirt, not Hannah Rogers). Didn't know they had posted it on youtube.

Frankly it is more a point of maximum resistance to create max speed than a crowhop/second push which is supposed to be a illegal. 2nd push is probably a terrible way to phrase it as it souds like they are promoting crowhopping.

Sep 10, 2013
Haha.. that is my DD in this video (the little one in the green shirt, not Hannah Rogers). Didn't know they had posted it on youtube.

Frankly it is more a point of maximum resistance to create max speed than a crowhop/second push which is supposed to be a illegal. 2nd push is probably a terrible way to phrase it as it souds like they are promoting crowhopping.

I guess that person talking in the video had a poor choice of words.

Dec 20, 2012
The first thing Coach White did with my dd was get rid of her replant in order to make her legal. Now if the umps are gonna call it or not is completely different subject.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
First of all, we all know that grip, stance, posture, wind-up/load and leg drive all contribute to pitching a softball. IMO, none of these are on my list of "absolutes". They are "styles". That is, not every high level pitcher uses exactly the same style any of the above listed requisites of pitching ....

I really like this quote from BM. I've seen so many different styles since I've started researching fastpitch pitching. Girls being very successful with less then steller mechanics according to most. My dd is struggling to connect her lower with her upper and I've realized she's gotta figure out what works for her. She knows whats "best" in my eyes, but that may not end up being best for her, is what I've come to realize. I just hope she keeps tweaking and trying to find out what works best!

I wonder how many people on this forum agree with the 2nd push? Or how many agree with getting open as the key? how many agree with staying closed and pushing forward? How many agree with coming up over the toes? (If you come up over the toes your surely not having a 2nd push right?) so many different styles what do I tell my dd to work on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00