9 yr old dd learning i/r with dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2013
First let me say Thanks for this fantastic forum/board even existing. I come from the baseball world and was asked a few years ago after teaching my 11 yr. old son how to pitch for LL ; to start helping coach my two young girls as they got involved with softball. (This year our 4 yr. old son started T-Ball , our 7 yr. old DD plays 8U; so Mom and I officially ran around to 4 different fields this season!)
Our 9 year old DD moved up to 10U REC and was one of the girls who was asked to learn fast pitch. She has a passion for it that I never saw before and she held her own this season. Yet, she would lose her speed at what should be "the whip". Her arm would stay straight and bowl thru the pitch.
I'll be honest and say that at that time I had looked everywhere, asked everyone in the older leagues, asked friends who's older girls took lessons from PC's, looked at books , checked videos for some "clue" as to what should be happening with the arm around the last 1/4 of the windmill.
I found zip, zilch, zero. My daughter and I even studied together the slow motion YouTube clips of Scarborough and of Finch and at that time... I never saw internal rotation taking place right in front of my eyes because I didn't even know what to look for and everyone wanted her to push the ball down and follow thru to her throwing shoulder.
Not until the end of this season did I find DFP pitching forum and Boardmember's posting of I/R in the classroom. So to Boardmember: , let me humbly say as a father and as a coach ....Thank You. Thank you for making a difference.
I immersed myself into this board and spent the last few weeks reading, then reading again and again.. every single post, every single word dealing with Internal Rotation and pitching mechanics. I made a 14 page word document out of all Boardmember's teachings on I/R so I could have in my hands a way to learn with my daughters and finally know first hand what pitching should feel and be like.
My DD and I have learned so much about pitching not only from Boardmember, but Amy in Arizona, Carly in Pittsburgh, Rich Balswick, Hal Skinner, Bill Hillhouse, Coach James, Ken B., KnightSB, and on and on please forgive me if I have left anyone off this list!
So last week every day my daughter and I did nothing but the "Lock it in Drill" No wind up, no full pitch... nothing but just playing catch with the drill. . This week we have been working on the "Unlock or 9 O'clock Drill". When she shows that she has this down, we plan on moving into the "Liberty Bell drill" and then "Show it and Throw it".
To give an idea as to where our 9 yr. old DD started before "Learning how to Pitch the correct way" I'm going to try and post a video from when she last pitched full motion, 6/4/13. As we go along on this journey we will try and post video and look forward to the boards feedback and helpful teaching. I just hope I am posting this videos correctly as I have never done this before.
[video]http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/nTlygJln/pitching[/video]
[video]http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/HacA3B3V/pitching[/video]

Jun 23, 2013
I'll be interested in watching this thread and see her progress. My 10 year old dd just started working with a current high school pitcher (who does very well for herself), but she isn't teaching I/R. I'm confused as to what to do now.

Sep 3, 2009
My daughter who was 9 at the time learned to throw effectively with I/R over the course of about one month during the winter. We don't have a large basement or garage so she would throw from on her right knee a jugs lite flite ball to me sitting about 25 feet away on the couch. All of this came after I read over the detailed posts from Boardmember discussing I/R. The following spring her speed and location improved dramatically from where she was in the fall.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles